We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get from airport to hotels?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
best way to get from airport to hotels?

hi from NEW zealand. taxi? or hotel pickup? from beijing airport.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

Taxi is always best. Read top questions about Beijing on the right of this page. It is covered in details in one item around the middle of the list "arriving at Beijing airport - what can I expect?"

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

The 1-hour taxi ride takes about RMB200. The time and charge vary from your hotel location and the actual traffic condition. You can print out your hotel name and address in Chiese and show it to the driver.

Just note that there are many illigel taxis outside the airport and it is hard for you to distinguish clearly. So if your hotel can offer the pickup at a reasonale rate, it will be a safer choice.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

I don't understand your post JohnWong. The OP does not say which hotel, how can you say 200RMB. To most hotels would be 100RMB. Also there are no illegal taxis in the airport lineup. Quite simple for a traveller.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

JP, you are right, the airport-city center should be around RMB 100 that i intended to type. I have mistakenly listed it. Thanks for your corection.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

You're right, it's now very easy for travellers to get a legitimate taxi at the Beijing airport. When I first went in 2005, there was little English and lots of guesswork. Now, it's a breeze.

Follow the signs to go downstairs, stand in a line, all of the taxis are legit (although it's always smart to make sure the meter gets turned on!)

Note that there's no tipping, so 100RMB is 100RMB.

The other relatively easy option, depending on where your hotel is and how much luggage you're toting, is to take the subway (Line 5?), which is much cheaper and avoids traffic.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

Just small note. In addition to what the meter says, you pay an extra two for the fuel surchage and the toll if any.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,158 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

Provided your hotel is near a subway station and your bags are not too heavy I would choose a combination of the rail link/subway.

Edited: 11 February 2012, 09:15
Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1,297 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

It depends how many bags and you're hotel location. We got a taxi to the hotel and the tube back once we were familiar with how to get to the tube from our hotel. Either way was easy though.

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

I would warn the OP that they may be approached by illegal taxis or limo drivers and offered rides to the city center at prices usually double or more from the taxi meter rate. After a long flight or just generally confused and first time in China, this can happen to people who are wandering around looking for the taxi line.

Many years ago when I was a China newbie this happened to me since I didn't want to stand in a long, long taxi line. I negotiated the guy down pretty good but he took me to a different hotel where he likely would get a commission. I refused and he took me to my proper hotel. Always get in the "official" taxi line, you'll likely get ripped off otherwise.

Seems like it's been 90 to 100 rmb for the taxi for a long time.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to get from airport to hotels?

I agree with post number 8 that taking the subway back to the airport is a better idea than when you land.

I have done it both ways and the subway was usually twice as long asthe taxi. If this is your first time in Beijing, you will have no idea on where to head to when you get off the subway and you'll be tired from a long flight. I would take the taxi.