We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing to Badaling by train

Leipzig, Germany
3 posts
Save Topic
Beijing to Badaling by train

I am planning to travel to Beijing at May. I was wondering how to buy a ticket and take a train from Beijing North Station to Badaling Great Wall. I tried to find out this through internet but I just got confused.

Some says that there's exclusive ticket office upstairs for Badaling trains at the North station. One report say that you can use any booth downstairs. Then some says that you can use your ticket (if you manage to get one) on any train during the day and some says that tickets are unique numbered. Some says it's S2-train and some says it's Y-train. I wonder which one is it. Rate also varies from 6 RMB to 25 RMB (one-way). Are platforms and trains signed also in English? Can anyone advise me on these questions?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,358 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing to Badaling by train

I have never done this but this website is quite reliable: http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#Great Wall of China

Leipzig, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing to Badaling by train

Thank you. Does anyone have any practical experience taking the train?

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing to Badaling by train

Go to Mutianyu instead. Way fewer people; option for toboggan ride.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,620 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing to Badaling by train

As well as seat 61 look on here: travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/beijing/tran… There is a question & answer section for you to ask.

As far I know there are no allocated seats on the Beijing to Badaling S trains & tix should be RMB 6 one way.

Yes there are sign up in English. There is a board which will show your trains waiting room / platform number.

Mutianyu is not as busy but using public transport to get there is a pain. If you choose Mutianyu it is best to get a taxi or car for a set rate ( about RMB 500) there & back. Or use a reliable ( no shopping stop) tour like Downtown Backpackers: www.backpackingchina.com/detail.aspx?id=5

Leipzig, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing to Badaling by train

Thanks for the advices

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1,295 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing to Badaling by train

We got the bus to Badaling (from Dengshenmen bus station, Beijing) which was relatively hassle free.

7. Re: Beijing to Badaling by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:17