We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

chicago
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

my question is: if you took the 10 highest ranked (by Trip A) Beijing hotels, which has the best location?

#1: Fairmont Beijing, The Orchid Hotel, Courtyard 7, Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel, Hilton Beijing Wangfujing, Park Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, The Opposite House, The St. Regis Beijing, Aman at Summer Palace, #10 Park Hyatt Beijing

to quantify, we are looking for a good neighborhood, where we can walk around and explore possibly an area with good restaurants within walking distance. if the subway was within walking distance, that would be a plus, but we will have a driver for some of our exploration. we are an athletic, adventurous family who love to walk.

maybe my expectations are too high but do any of the top 10 TA hotels meet these requirements? if so, which hotels.

or any hotels other than the top 10.

thank you in advance for any help.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
301 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

Every hotel that is located within the line 2 subway area (this line does a kind of circle) could be considered of a good-location. Wangfujing is pretty close to the Forbidden City and is a huge shopping street, very lively. You will find many restaurants there.

North of the Forbidden City, there are a lot of Hutongs (traditionnal Chinese houses), especially in Houhai area. At night, Houhai area is a great place to have a walk or go to bars. You have plenty of restaurants as well.

Sanlitun area, east of Beijing (Chaoyang district) is the "expat" and embassies district. You will find a lot of bars there too and western food restaurants.

In any case, if you are not far from a subway line, it should not be a problem to travel in the city (subway tickets are very cheap).

Btw, the Summer Palace is very far from the city centre. I would not advise you to stay there.

Hope it helps. (if you want me to be more precise, please give me the address of all the hotels you've mentionned).

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,328 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

Other than the Aman, they all meet your criterias.

chicago
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

thank you.. booked the Fairmont Beijing

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

Personally I would look at The Prime Hotel in the top end of Wangfujing Lu.

Lovely area good shopping area and can walk to Forbidden City et. and se the Hutongs aswell.

I stay here each trip to Beijing and I know the price is a bot high but service I have personally always found to be excellent and the facilities offered aswell.

Kind regards

Albon

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

You are kinda out of the action a bit with the Fairmont, but close to a subway so that is a huge plus. But if you are really looking for a neighborhood feel you were on the right track with the below.

The Orchid, Courtyard 7 & Double Happiness all have good location but not near the subway.

The Orchid particularly has a great neighborhood location - Baochao & Beiluoguxiang Hutongs are a standout & have the neighborhood feel. You are also walking distance to Nanluoguxiang, the Drum & Bell Tower areas & the Back Lakes. I have also walked to the Ghost street restaurant area from there. Heaps of places to eat.

Depends where you feel comfortable.... generic western Hotel Vs places in atmospheric locations.

chicago
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

Hi Annie,

we booked the fairmont. my gf liked the Fairmont in Cairo as it was new and gorgeous inside. The neighborhood was questionable but we had a driver and a guide wherever we went.

my gf likes modern and i know that you said that there were more traditional hotels in more fun neighborhoods. so we will see what happens.

re your advice about Xi'an in one day, i think we ARE going to do the overnight train from Beijing and do Xi'an in one day. we are trying to figure out how to make the sleeper train work for the 5 of us and what the difference is between Z19 and Z53..

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,328 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

I think that the only difference is the departure time. The second one is 8 minutes longer as it makes a short stop along the way.

I guess that with 5 people, one will not be with the rest of the group.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

Hi, If your gf likes modern you had better disregard what I said about Courtyard 7 & Double Happiness as they are very traditional :-)

The Fairmont neighborhood is very CBD / modern. It will be very handy for you being near the subway with 5 people. If you don't mind walking it is under a 2km walk to Ritan Park and you will be able to find places to eat around there ( it's a very nice park to people watch too).

You are also 2 subway stops from Shin Kong Place near Dawanglu stop. There are some good restaurants there on the 6th Floor.

Bellagio is Tiwanese but they also have some Sichuan & Hakka dishes.

Ding Ding Xiang does great hot pot & it's fun to eat hot pot as a family.

Din Tai Fung is Shanghai style food: Xiaolong Bao, dumplings like jiaozi & shaomai & Hairy Crab if it is in season.

All these places have English menus & some staff speak English so it makes a fairly easy dining experience.

chicago
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

the concierge at the Fairmont said:

In regards of overnight train to Xi'an: Z53 Beijing west Station to Xi'an ETD20:03 -08:12(2nd day)

Z19 Beijing west Station to Xi'an ETD20:48-07:58 (2nd day)

the odd man out will probably be me. i assume that they are 4 person sleepers. maybe i can drag a mattress into thier sleeper, of bunk with my gf (which i am sure won't work and we'll get NO sleep.

chicago
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hello trippers.. ? regarding best beijing hotel locations

hi Annie,

my gf likes traditional but in this case newer, modern will be better. did you tell me that somewhere near the fairmont was a park where lots of people exercise in the morning? food is a possible big issue for us as my gf is a doc and her kids eat VERY heathly. They never eat fast food like macs and eat LOTS of organic fruits, tons of vegetables and grass fed meat and milk. the 16yo eats gluten free.(this trip will be very interesting regarding food)