We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

campbelltown
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

We will be staying in Beijing for a week at the beginning of January (we know it will be cold). Have been reading trip advisor non stop, have brought lonely planet and DK guide books, but still really unsure where to stay.

We would love character and easy access to main attractions and Hutong areas, however also looking for hotel facilities.

We would like indoor swimming pool, gym, soft beds, close to attractions or subway, easy to walk in the evening to people watch, local restaurants, markets - all of this for no more than $200 a night including breakfast!

Sorry, have just re-posted this as I forgot to include the city.

I know I am looking for the impossible, but would appreciate any ideas people have.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,818 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

Hotel pools are rare and not possible for $200 including breakfast.

campbelltown
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

Thank you for your quick reply. If we went up to $260 or $300 could we get what we are looking for - if so which hotel?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,818 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

Generally only international five star hotels will have a pool, a gym and soft beds. They will not have a lot of character though.

Check some of the Sheratons or Hiltons.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

the grand hyatt beijing is very close to the forbidden city and walkable to many attractions plus close to a subway, wangfujing, and above a big mall. the grand hyatt has a pretty big gym for a hotel and a 50m pool, good for laps. i've never seen a 50m pool in a city hotel before. it's beautiful and kinda set up like a tropical forest. the locker rooms also have great hot tub/steam/sauna. soft beds etc. check online for rates.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,868 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

Novotel Beijing Peace perhaps? Use the TA recomendations on the RHS of the forum.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

If you would search on the Beijing Hotels TripAdvisor site, you will be able to filter your results to get a short list for your further examination. tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294212-Beijing-Hotel…

It took me less than 30 seconds to get the list down to 40 or so. Then you can search through the top 10 as a start, and see what you think.

Remember rates are highly variable in China. There is no way in predicting the exact rate in January 2013 until December 2012, but still you can get a range in the USD$200-300 for a short list.

Be sure to see on the China Forum page, Top Questions about China (right-hand column), "How do I cut costs in traveling to and in China?" Also read the Top Questions about Bejing questions and answers. Much easier than asking here constantly.

PS There are quite a few you might be able to get with an indoor pool for around USD$200.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 14:59
campbelltown
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

Thank you for your reply - I did use the search facility before I posted my question, and as you said it brought up a number of hotels. I spent quite a few hours trying to work out just where they all were and reading TA reviews for each hotel to try and see if they were in areas with Hutongs close by etc. I was driving myself insane, and eventually thought I would ask a TA expert who knows the areas.

I really appreciate the time the destination experts put into answering questions and apologize if this was an 'annoying' question.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,629 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

Hi,

LOL yes, no wonder you went insane as it can be tricky.

If you really want a pool & decent gym you will have to rule out the Boutique Hotels & unique guest houses. Also re pool in January - you might want to pay close attention to the hotel reviews from people who have stayed there in January & used the pool facilities - It is low occupancy season & one way for a hotel to cut costs is to save electricity heating the pool properly.

It will be tempting for you to stay in the Chaoyang area as there are a lot of hotels that meet your critera. But that area lacks a bit of atmosphere / Hutongs etc if you want to do a bit of neighborhood exploration. Same with Financial Street.

Have a look at the hotels in Dongcheng / Wangfujing area. Hilton, Regent, Grant Hyatt, Park Plaza, Novotel Peace, Raffles etc. Unless you get a breakfast included in your stay you might find your price budget will increase but you can exclude a hotel breakfast & find somewhere nearby.

Have you got a short list ?

Annie

Edited: 01 April 2012, 00:41
campbelltown
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

Many thanks - The Grand Hyatt looks beautiful but I think out of our price budget. I will check some of the websites for prices.

Edited: 01 April 2012, 06:55
campbelltown
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel query - including location, character and facilities

Hi Annie, thanks for your reply - really helpful information. I love the look of some of the courtyard hotels in or near the hutongs, however we would prefer more facilities of a larger hotel.. I am hoping to find a hotel that has the facilities we are looking for, but in an area which is close to the more traditional Beijing. We love to just walk and soak in the atmosphere, have dinner in local restaurants and sit and people watch.

We are thinking of the French Concession area in Shanghai, and hoping to find something a bit similar in Beijing.

Some of the hotels that I am looking at are The Grand Hyatt (out of our budget) The Beijing Marriott City Wall (just not quite sure where it is), The

Crown Plaza Beijing, The Regent Beijing, The Peace hotel and Holiday Inn

Central Plaza.

I will keep looking, and use the areas you have mentioned in the search facility. Many thanks again.