We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing and xian November ??

Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing and xian November ??

Ok I have a chance to go to Beijing in November . Is it worth going to? Also xian I heard to go to , I'll have 2 weeks but I also dobt want to freeze . I'm on a tight budget of 25$ a day . The train to xian is not included in that . I'm heading to Thailand afterwards but either way I need to stop in Beijing . is a week to long ??? Can I do the forbidden city without a tour ?? I can't spend alot on tours .

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing and xian November ??

Beijing's average highs are 10C and lows of -1C at night in November. It is very dry. That is great weather to hike on the Great Wall for a day, taking layers and a backpack with water and snack bars from home. Hostels generally organize the cheapest and rip-off-shopping-free hikes up there. Costs a bit, but well worth it for a lifetime memory.

Admission fees will be a pretty large part of your expenses, without any tour costs. By all means go on your own. I suggest you borrow or buy a used copy of the DK Eyewitness Guide to Beijing & Shanghai. If you get the used latest edition on Amazon, then you might get the pull-out laminated street map of the city. It is thin enough to carry with you and it explains all the sites for you to have a great four days or more in Bejing.

There are a lot of posts here on taking the buses to Xi'an terra cotta soldiers from downtown. Stay inside the city walls for the best walkable experience. Avoid the shop on clay soldier dig site, unless you bargain very hard. I got great reproductions of the clay men at the Walmart downtown cheap.

The simple neighborhood "hole in the wall" restaurants generally have the best and cheapest food. No tourists, of course, just natives. Pick your ingredients to suit your taste for Chinese noodles.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,064 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing and xian November ??

Even if you eat cheaply, say for no more than $10 per day for 3 meals, and take the subway for another $2 per day, then you have barely enough money for the hostel. However entrance fees in many places run in the $10 range. So making it on $25 is very hard.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing and xian November ??

Would you then suggest only doing Beijing for a week ?? As I'm open and am still going to many places after . I really only added it into my itinerary cause I have to land there anyways and the price is the same so .....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing and xian November ??

At $25 a day it will be tight even staying in a dorm at a hostel.

If your budget does not run to entrance fees you can still look around.

798 Art District, National Museum of China, Chairman Mao's Memorial Hall, Donghuamen Night Market are all free.

Lots of Hutongs areas to explore.

Some Parks are free ( Ritan I think) and others like Jingshan Park have very small entrance fees ( Y 2). Temple of Heaven Park is Y10, add Y30 if you want to see the buildings. No one checks your ticket so see the buildings & do a sneak in :-)

Check out Nanluoguxiang Hutong & the Lake areas ( Qianhai & Houhai) -free. Add in Song Qinglings former residence by the lake - Y10.

Qianmen, Dashilar & Liulichang- free.

Ming City Wall Ruins Park - free. Nearby is the excellent Corner Watchtower. Usually Y10 to see but inside is the equally excellent Red Gate Gallery. Tell them you are are there to see that & they allow you in & you won't have to pay an entrance fee.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 08:43
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing and xian November ??

Hi there yes there are some freebies like Annie mentioned above but most places involve entrance fees and ti would be a shame to go all that way and not see some of the mains sights. These stretch anywhere from 20 to 150 yuan. For instance to buy a combined ticket to the drum and bell tower will set you back 40 yuan which is about $6-7 of your budget. Its 40 yuan for the city walls and the terracotta warriors will set you back 150 which is just about your whole day budget and its one of those things if you are in Xian you would definitely want to see. A cheap attraction in beijing is the lama temple which is only 25 yuan. If you want to travel cheaply by train between Xian and Beijing you will have to take a hard seat which is the cheapest and will still cost you about $25 - of course you wont have accommodation to pay which will help but bear in mind its 12 hours of torture in a very small seat and overcrowded compartment. . China is compared to some a fairly cheap destination but even if you only stay in dorms its going to be a challenge to manage on your budget.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing and xian November ??

Last I checked the train from Beijing to xian was 200$, could be wrong , not sure where your getting the info on these hostels as I checked many and can get one for 3-13$ which is fine . transport will depend on where I'm going . And how far . I really could not go to xian and just stay in Beijing for a week and then head to chiang Mai like my plans . the china wall is a for sure attraction I'm going to as well as forbidden city . Really that's all I know of ha ha

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing and xian November ??

if you are getting a price of $200 then that has to mean a soft sleeper - I took the hard seat and it was about 150 yuan.

8. Re: Beijing and xian November ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 10:27