We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Day

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicaog
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Free Day

We will be in Beijing for a day before joining our tour group. Does anyone have suggestions for what we should do? We'll be seeing the usual sites after our tour starts (Tiananmen Square, Summer Palace, Great Wall Badaling section, Olympic sites, Opera House and Temple of Heaven). We were thinking of going to the zoo and visiting some hutongs. Is there something special we might be missing? We are leaving this coming Friday.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Day

Forbidden City not on your tour? Other suggestions: Drum Tower, Lama Temple.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Day

Hard to say unless we know everything covered by the tour.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Day

If you can get to Tianemen by sunrise you could watch the raising of the flag. Its a rather charming event. Its going to be early for you but they make a real occassion of it with a band etc. here is the link of the times. travelchinaguide.com/attraction/…

From here you could stroll around till close to 8am and then go to Mao's mausoleum which is also on Tianamen sq. It opens at 8am and its kind of quirky. Get in line by about 7.30 - I went later in the morning and had to walk 10mins just to get to the end of the line. It moves quickly and once you get in to see Mao you could actually blink and miss it. Only drawback to the mausoleum is they dont allow you to take in bags and they ask for I.D. I said it was in my bag, which I had left at the hotel and he let me in. . After the mausoleum you could get some breafast and head to the lama temple which is one of Beijings major temples. This would probably take you to about 1-2 pm. You could then catch the zoo and check out some hutongs in the evening. Plenty of places do tours.

have a great day

angie

www.angietravels.com

Chicaog
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Day

Forbidden City is on the tour, I forgot to type it in. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Chicaog
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Day

I included the sites in my original post. We will also be going to the Forbidden City which I initially forgot to include.

Chicaog
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Day

Thanks for the information on the flag raising and Mao's mausoleum. I'll check and see if they are included on our tour and if not, they sound like cool things to see.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Day

Beihai Park, Houhai Lake area, Drum Tower, Nanluoguxiang & the the Lama Temple. You can easily put these places together in a day as they are all fairly close together. You can add in some Hutong exploration too - Nanluoguxing side streets, back of the Drum Tower & the streets opposite the Lama temple ( Wudaoying Fangjia Hutongs).

For an evening meal when you have finished for the day head to Ghost street as it's close to the Lama Temple. Great food street, all lit up with red lanterns at night, & chock a block full of restaurants. Try Hua's Courtyard ( English Menu) tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294212-d105…

Annie

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Day

P.S: the Zoo is a bit sad apart from the Panda enclosure. But if you do want to go there include things on that side of the city. Qianmen is a pedestrian shopping street. From there you can walk to the Dashilar area where you will see some hutongs. And then head to Xidan area for some shopping.

All doable via the subway. http://www.explorebj.com/subway/

If you wanted to see Mao's mausoleum or the sunrise flag raising ceremony start off in Tiananmen square and it include with the above.

9. Re: Free Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2012, 08:35
Chicaog
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Day

These are great suggestions, thanks!