We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

I don't quite understand the setting of Mutianyu Great Wall and its cable cars.

Is the cable car an option? What is the purpose? Does it mean I take the cable car to go up, but walk down, etc?

If that is the case, what long does it take to walk down? Is it a tough walk? I would think it is better to walk down than walk up??

What is Cableway-Toboggan? Is it different from a cable car? Are they safe?

I want to do some walking in the great wall(maximum an hour), but not a lot with the June weather.

Any tips to make the visit to Great Wall more pleasant.

Thanks in advance.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,760 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

The Wall is ont top of the mountain. You can walk up or take the cable car or the gondola. You can also go down by these means plus you can slide down via the toboggan. It is all about how much time it takes and how much effort is involved.

Understand that if you climb up the stairs (maybe 30 minutes, depends on your physical shape), then you get at the top already tired and the top of the WAll itself is all stairs.

You can check here: travelchinaguide.com/china_great_wall/scene/… or google these terms for photos.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

There are 2 cable cars at Mutianyu. Both of them will take you up to the wall itself.

You also have the option of not using a cable car & walk uphill for 30 - 40 minutes until you get to the wall.

The first Cable Car you will come to when walking from the car park will take you to tower 6. This is an open style ski lift type cable car & fits 2 people side by side.

The second cable car is further on and is an enclosed gondola style & will fit 4 to 6 people. It takes you up to tower 14. This is the most popular one as it will take you to a higher section of the wall.

From tower 14 you can walk to the higher towers if you like. Or walk back down to tower 6 and get the ski style cable car or Toboggan ride down. Of you can also go back down on the Gondala style car at tower 14.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

If you visit the Great Wall yourself, it depends on you, but since you just want to do some walking in the great wall (maximum an hour), you should take the cable car. In fact, even if you take the cable car, you still need to walk about 30-40 minutes after taking the cable car to go up.

June isn't the rainy season in Beijing, so don't worry too much about the bad weather!

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

The cable way in Mutianyu Great Wall is an optional way. It depends on your physical situation when touring in Great Wall. It is a tool for your to get a comparative non-tired Great Wall tour.

xian
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

Hi,there.

Once you arrived at the car park of the mutianyu great wall,it is about ten minutes walk ascending to the cable car station. Of course it is optional that you may either walk up, or take the cable car. Most of the visitors would choose to take cable car up and down in the June weather as it is hot in summer in Beijing.

There is a path that you may walk up the wall, but worrying that you may get exhausted by the time you get open the wall top. The toboggan is another choice for people who is more adventurous , there were two accidents happened several years ago, and for most of the time it is safe.

Mountain Yu section is one of the best part of the great wall around Beijing comparing to the ba da ling, or junyong guan. You pick up the right site of the great wall. Once you get on the top by cable car, it is a LONG stretch of the wall for you to hike, that takes longer than an hour as you planned.

Suggesting you to take cable car to the top and start hiking then, by the time you finish, you may either walk down, or buy the return ticket to get back.

Be careful of the vendors along the path from the car park to the cable car station, they are very pushing once you start talking with them on the price of what they sell.

Have a great time in china

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

Hi there when I bought a ticket for the wall I said I would walk up. It was august and about 37 degrees. I got asked if I was sure. When I got underway I realized why she had asked me. Its a good 1/2 to the start of the wall. The steps are endless and steep. Burnt plenty of calories. The wall part was mostly ok except for one high section. I asked on guy if he had climbed to the top and he said he had but only with his eyes. It may have been a wiser option on the day. I was shattered by the time I got to the top (heat was mainly to blame) so I was more than happy to take the cable car back down. There is also the toboggan option. It was still a great experience.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

Trip completed.

We hired a guide. We took the cable car to tower 6. We hiked to tower 1 and went a bit to the "wild" wall side. We took toboggan down.

It was supposed to rain that day but did not (at least while we were there). The weather was perfect for hiking.

We had a great time.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

Hi Jade,

Could you please write a bit of a review for the Mutianyu review section. I have gone from tower 6 & down to 1, the three tower ZhengGuantai but not any further. ( quite steep walking back up).

When you went on past Zhengguantai & walked on the very unrestored section, how far did you get - Laihuachi ? How long did it take ?

Sorry for all the questions but I am planning the above in December. Am tossing up between going from tower 1 to Liahuachi or hiking the higher section tower 23 to Zhengbeilou.

Thanks,

Annie

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

Sorry we only did about a few minutes on the "wild" wall. Not much to report back. That section is bad. I would not recommend anyone goes any further if they plan to return home. We went with the guide.

10. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall and cable car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:17