We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

I hope someone can answer this. I am going to China on vacation with my wife in July and I have a tourist visa. I just found out my job is sending me to Beijing for work. Our visa service company told me I need to replace my multi entry tourist visa and get a multi entry business visa. Is that correct? Can I just enter for business under my tourist visa? How would anyone know? My business trip is before my vacation.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,997 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

>> How would anyone know?

Someone who has something against you may decide to inform the authorities.

Government just started a 100-day campaign targeting foreigners, scrutinizing their visas.

chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/…content_15291548.htm

Should you get randomly stopped and questioned, you better stick to your story.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,384 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

There is a difference between working in China and having some meetings.

You are working in China if you are being paid by the local company. You would need a work visa for this.

What the campaign is aiming at is foreigners who work in China while holding a tourist visa or business visa. This is not your case.

The only people who know what kind of visa you have are you, the hotel clerk who will register you and the immigration officer when you cross the border. I doubt these people will find out you have meetings and the people you are meeting do not know what visa you hold.

When filling the landing form check the box that says visiting. As long as this is your main purpose, I would not go through the trouble and expense of getting a new visa.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

Your company, if it is smart, will definitely want you on a business visa, if for nothing else for the purpose of insurance.

What if you get sick while on business? Have some kind of accident? You file a claim with your company's insurance, and they say how come you are there with a tourist visa? Claim denied.

So why are you objecting to have a business visa? Your company is going to get it for you, what is the problem?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,384 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

Company insurance in the US only covers you when you are at work? That's not very good insurance.

Of course if the company is paying for and handling the visa application, why not do it.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 04:18
New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

Thank you for all the replies. My company pays but we do all the application am work ourselves. Everyone hates getting visas, that's why I was trying to avoid it since I have a tourist one but the insurance issue is giving me second thoughts. Thanks again!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

It's a bit hard too comparing different county requirements. It really depends if you are short term staying, flying back for various meetings or going to reside for a while.

We are Australian and do both business & tourist trips. For Hamish as an expat was different but it does not sound like you are are going to stay long. Even business trips we now do are under a tourist multi entry visa ( much easier). Sorry not sure about the insurance issue for the US as we are covered whatever.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

Where I am from you have travel health insurances costing 15 USD per year (!) covering you for all private trips up to 42 days anywhere in the world. So in case I get sick I was on a private trip even if I had some meetings. Nothing similar in the US? I mean what if OP really goes on a private trip abroad? Then he has no health insurance because company only pays for biz trips?

Would also stick to the tourist visa if you already have it.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

Stick to the tourist visa you already have. It's a pain to do another round of visa applications even if employer will pay for. The insurance thing is a red herring--your employer's group insurance should cover you regardless, as long as it is normally good for overseas use. Alternatively, you can buy some limited-time travel insurance w/evac for yourselves.

It's not surprising that your visa service is recommending that you re-do the visas, as they have a real motive to get some more service fees for the second (unnecessary) round of visas. The Chinese themselves won't care if you enter on tourist visas and then have a few meetings, a conference, or a bit of business in the mix.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 17:34
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

I'm not sure what Chinese define as business, but my feeling is that this mainly applies to activities where direct financial transactions are done, or official contracts are signed that need government permission.

I combine business aspects a lot with private activities. But that is mainly restricted to meetings. I always use tourist visa. I travel at least 3 times a year to china so my passport is filled with tourist visa. You would expect that the embassy would realize that no one is going that many times a year on holiday to china and for so many years. But I never had a problem.

10. Re: HELP-Going to China as a tourist and on business

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:17