We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a touring company

India
Level Contributor
62 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with a touring company

I will be with a group of 20 people from India in November this year.. Our tour manager has advised us that he will keep guiding us and asked us to remain close to each other. It seems very cosmetic to me. I read in your China forum to keep away from the locals while I am very keen to interact with them wherever I get the chance.

Advise me how to conduct myself with locals.

Beijing Tour Van Rental
Day Trips, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Multi-day Tours
China Beijing Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
LETS
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,945 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with a touring company

Locals are normal people but hard to have meaningful interactions if you do not speak mandarin.

I do not remember anything in the forum about keeping away from locals.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with a touring company

Feel free to talk to anyone if you have the chance. As JP says sometimes it's difficult if you don't speak the language, and you are in a group being guided. The only caution is to watch out for scams.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with a touring company

You probably mean the warnings for scams.

If you take inititiative, in general no problem at all. If they do speak a little english they will give a try.

But at major tourist spots you have to be carefull with people who apprach you and speak very good english. Mostly also make to let you believe that they have been to your country as well. No problem talking to them, but never go anywhere with them.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with a touring company

hi there your chances of interacting with them is slim given that the average person in the street does not really speak english. I didnt find them the most approachable but certainly when I ended up on two chinese only tours (I was the only foreigner) and no one spoke english they were forever looking out for me. On the other hand your guide seems to be taking a rather strict approach and its not like it back in the days before liberalization when they watched you like a hawk. if someone approaches you for a little chit chat and you are close to your group then I dont see how this is going to make much difference to anyone.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

India
Level Contributor
62 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with a touring company

Hi Angie, BePu, Thanks Social..

I will certainly keep the advice given by you. I am very, very keen to meet the locals who know English. Last year I visited Vietnam and Cambodia I really could meet and talk to locals. I made few friends and I am still in contact with them. But that time I customized the tour myself and hired the local guide. They helped me a lot in my interaction with the locals. There was no binding of the tour manager.

Thanx anyway.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with a touring company

You can end up with great experiences that way. Years ago I was siting by the lake in hanoi and a young guy approached us (i was with my son who was 14 at the time) and said would we mind if he practised his english. He ended up being amazing, stayed with us the whole afternoon and didnt want anything for it. I was trying to track down someone who had been an aide to ho chi ming and he was really excited about helping me. learnt loads about vietnam and I hope he improved his english even though we didnt track down the aide .

7. Re: Travelling with a touring company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2012, 11:32
8. Re: Travelling with a touring company

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2012, 11:32
9. Re: Travelling with a touring company

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:17