We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silk Street 秀水街

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Silk Street 秀水街

I last went to Beijing at least a year ago and I always visit Silk Street or 秀水街 as one of my shopping stop.

The last time I was there, the place was going some renovation and I heard it was going to be a major one.

Can anyone confirm if the renovation has been completed or still on-going? Is it still open for business?

Does anyone know of any alternative to Silk Street or 秀水街 in Beijing?

I am planning for another visit next month.

Thanks.

Edited: 26 November 2012, 08:14
Beijing
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

Silk Street has been finished renovation and it's open for business now. The open hour for Silk Street is from 10:00am-9:30pm. The alternative place to Silk Street can be Yashow Market and Hongqiao Market. Three of them are flea Market in Beijing. But after renovation, Silk Street's shopping enivorment is much better than before.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

There's a fantastic market opposite Beijing Zoo too. Far fewer tourists there, so a better chance of getting a good price!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

There are actually several such shopping places in Beijing. The Silk market is usually at the bottom of my list as I find the sales girls way too agressive at this place.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

^ They are way too aggressive. I had one girl pull me into her "room" and when I tried to leave, she threw me up against a rack of shirts, yelling "good quality!!" My advice...express zero interest in anything unless you actually want to buy it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,513 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

I really dont like the Silk Market & avoid it like the plague.... Although if you are visiting in December the tourist crowds are absent & you can get some good deals if you negotiate in Mandarin. Coming from Sing you will do okay if you haggle like a hard a**, but it wastes so much time and energy. I really dont like the Silk Market as the sales staff are so aggresive. Even to buy a pair of socks is a major drama. Shop elsewhere!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

I just got back from Beijing and I had fantastic time at Silk Market I got what I wanted and for the price my secret was be more aggressive then what they are and off course just leave if you not happy and I didnt know how to speak Mandarin but I knew how to use a calculator lucky I got my way because I would of thrown the calculator at them

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

If you are not referring to fake branded staff and looking for street fashion where the local youngsters shopped, try Xidan area : www.meiguoxing.com/Shopping/Xidan.html

This trendy shopping street is like Orchard Road with many malls and two big modern dept stores. Prices, especially from those individual shops in Xi Dan Shopping Centre and 77th Str Plaza (bargaining needed), are much cheaper than Singapore. Some goods in dept store (fixed price) may cost the same. International shops, like Zara, Gap, Muji, Puma, etc not worth visiting.

I seldom see foreigners and if you try speaking like a local, prices quoted are lower to start with. Service is ok. For shopaholics, one day is not enough to cover the whole area. Choose the type of shopping you want, decide the buildings you want, checkout the map in Xidan subway station, then go straight to the building. That may save you some time wondering around. For breaks, checkout cafes/restaurants in the two dept stores and Joy City.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 12:17
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

@PoppyJn - not sure what you mean. One does not bargain in a department store or a shopping mall store like Zara, Gap, etc. The goods have price tags so it does not matter what language you speak. Prices in these stores are usually not a bargain compared to other countries.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

@JP, the bargaining is for the individual shops at Xi Dan Shopping Centre and 77th Str Plaza :-)

10. Re: Silk Street 秀水街

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 04:35