We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing and Around

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing and Around

Hi All,

I am looking to traveling to China either late Jan or early Feb next year. I will take a flight into Beijing. I will stay there for a few days and then venture to other parts. My questions are below:

1: Where do you recommend to go see old architecture (outside of Beijing that is). I have seen some photos where the houses are old and beautiful and they are by small rivers with arch way bridges. I cannot recall the name of the town.

2: Air Asia flies into Guangzhou, Chongqing, Chendu, Hangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Wuhan. I am wondering which one of these places will be the warmest for the Jan/Feb period.

Many thanks in advance.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing and Around

1. Are you talking about the so called "water towns" like Zhouzhuang, Tongli etc.? These are ard Shanghai.

2. Guangzhou will be the warmest in winter. Expect up to -20 C in Beijing and up to -5 in Shanghai in winter. Air Asia only flies between Kuala Lumpur (KUL) and the airports you mentioned. It is NOT a domestic carrier in China. So you can not take Air Asia to go from Beijing to Chengdu.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,336 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing and Around

1. I am also thinking water towns near Shanghai by your description. For old architecture near Beijing you may want to look at Pingyao Old Town.

2. The further south you are, the warmer it is.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing and Around

Hi all:

Thanks for your replies. I understand about the Air Asia. I fly with them frequently so I know their routes. I was thiking of flying into one of the aiports (Bejing or Shanghai) then do trains or buses. Then will fly back to BKK from another airport.

But with the weather that cold, I might have to think twice.

To ThanksSocio: Can you recommend something more specific that might fit my interest. Thanks again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,655 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing and Around

Beijing weather in Jan / Feb does not always get to -20c. It is cold but not too bad. Most days will be between -5 & -10c approx. Have a look at an historical weather site, key in January & February dates & you will see what I mean: http://www.bing.com/weather/overview?q=Beijing%2cChina+weather&unit=C&FORM=DTPWEO&qpvt=

http://www.kinabaloo.com/bj11.html

Its not a bad time to travel to Beijing because there are far less tourists at the main sites. You will also have clear blue skies & its not smoggy.

Shanghai is warmer than Beijing so look at the historical weather info for there as well. The water towns you mention are very easy to get to from Shanghai. Or you can combine some of them with Suzhou. Some water towns are: Zhujiajiao, Tongli, Zhouzhuang,Luzhi, Nanxun, Xitang, Wuzhen.

Water towns are very popular in the warmer months and can get busy, especially at weekends. Winter is not as busy.

For an itinerary you could go Beijing, Shanghai (water towns). You could also include Hangzhou and fly out from there. It's a fast bullet ride from Shanghai.

If you think the cold is going to be a hindrance then yes, down south or parts of Yunnan.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,655 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing and Around

Forgot to ad this link. timeoutshanghai.com/features/Travel-Weekend_…

It mentions Qibao but discount that one - its very close to Shanghai but not even similar to the other water towns. It has one small canal & I found it very disappointing ( grotty & touristy).

6. Re: Beijing and Around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 05:16