We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather pollution in Beijing now?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weather pollution in Beijing now?

I just listened to the news and understand that the fog and pollution now in Beijing is very unhealthy. Airports are closed due to that. Can anyone update on this? I'm pretty worry on that as I'll be flying over to Beijing next Tue. I thought winter will be a better season as clear blue sky can be expected. :(

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

These two things are weather related and hard to predict. There will always be fog (as most other places) when the temperature moved above and below zero in the same day.

Beijing is a flat city surrounded by mountains. So when there is no wind, these two issues become more important.

Read this article by a Canadian doctor about the pollution in Beijing: myhealthbeijing.com/2012/…

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

I am that doctor mentioned above (American, not Canadian! :) but French-Canadian ancestry...) living in Beijing. Yes, right now there is a bad spell of hazardous air. But this can literally be cleared up with just a couple hours of a good wind. There's no way to predict airport delays in a few days, so just keep your plans and hope a wind comes! Here's that article again: myhealthbeijing.com/2012/…

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

Sorry Dr, honest mistake. Your name fooled me. I have a lot of distant relatives in New England. Many moved there over 100 years ago to find work in the textile industry. Not much of that left now!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

The US Embassy air quality index has gone beyond index!!!

beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/070109air.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

Hi all thanks for the updates....

Will the shops along the streets and tourist attractions be closed due to pollution?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

Hi all thanks for the updates....

Will the shops along the streets and tourist attractions be closed due to pollution?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

Business as usual - schools only will not allow children to play outside

Stockholm
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

I just arrived in Beijing this morning (Jan 13) and the smog is awful. I walked around for a few hours near my hotel, and when I finally got access to my room, I took a shower and could feel all the grime coming off my face and my hair. It smells like burnt plastic in the air the entire time... incredibly awful!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

Better stay inside - we have our Air Purifiers on full force power!!!!

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather pollution in Beijing now?

PM2.5 is 500-900 these days. Situation won't get better for next three days according to weather report.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 06:05