We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Forbidden City

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
Save Topic
Best time to visit Forbidden City

Based on the reviews I read, best time to visit FC is early morning, what is the disadvantage if I enter around 10:30 or 11am? Long queu to buy tickets? How long? I will be visiting on a wednesday, so I guess not much crowded compared to weekend?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

Early morning? I think better to visit in afternoon.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

Early morning, loads of busses with Chinese tourists are unloaded. So if you go early you are swallowed in those groups.

I think it is better to go some what later.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 08:16
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

What time are these tourists? Am I okay around 11am?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,702 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

Understand that it is always busy there. Tour buses will ne there at different hours but 10am is probably the peak. People stay for at least three hours. The problem is not buying tickets, it is getting close to things to see.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

Most regular independent travellers will spend quite a few hours there. The people on the tour buses tend to be herded through as quick as possible, straight up the middle to see the main halls only. I'd be surprised if you have to wait a long time for tickets, a few minutes, ten maybe at most. If this is your late start following early hours arrival I'd suggest you wander around Tiananmen Sq. first and perhaps grab some brunch outside before heading across to spend the afternoon in the FC and close the day up the hill at Jingshan. You can have the evening in Wangfujing, if desired.

Level Contributor
1,159 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

Hi Qupnicely, that's actually the idea.. Go to Tiananmen, then Forbidden, Jingshan, and Wangfujing. Though I am still not sure what's the best time to start. I might have late breakfast in our hotel around 10am (Days Inn Forbidden), then I'll go straight to Tianenmen, then I'll probably eat lunch once I get out of FC North Gate. That's why I also posted another question if there's a place where I can eat before I head to Jingshan.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

Jingshan is adjacent to the FC, only separated by the road. No restaurants along it. You would have to make a detour around the side/back streets to find somewhere to eat. I'd suggest the east side as there are hotels around that area and a bit of local enterprise feeding off the tourism. However, I don't have any specific details or recommendations - just instinct - but it could be cool to wander a bit around there. There are certainly shops and stalls on the west side as well because there is a passage across from Jingshan west gate leading to Behai Park and the Chinese are nothing if not enterprising.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,702 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

Very few food options out of the north gate. Better spend more time around Tian'Anmen and maybe go to the National Museum and eat before going in the FC.

Level Contributor
1,159 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

Thank you so much!

10. Re: Best time to visit Forbidden City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 05:18