We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
34 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

Hello,

I am planning to be 5 days in Beijing.

Are the Stone Flower Caves worth visiting? Are they far? We are staying at the Radisson Blu.

Then we would like to take the high speed train to Shanghai, 2nd class. Are the tickets easy to buy? Do I have to buy them very much in advance?

Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,711 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

Never heard of this place so I guess it is not a top attraction.

You can buy these tickets just before departure at the station as long as you do not expect to leave on the next train. You may have to wait an hour or two. Last train is at about 6pm.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

I've not been, either. I have been to the Silver Fox cave, which is quite interesting, but these places are a long way out and really require private transport. For a mere five day visit, these sorts of places are perhaps too ambitious.

Just buy your train tickets when you arrive then you are pretty much guaranteed to get the service you want. There are ticket offices at the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

It's in Fangshan area and takes about 1.5 hours driving if Im not mistaken. If I remember correctly it was once a popular tourist place during 1990s and early 2000s, but probably not as popular nowadays. Beijing is more about history and cultural experience so I wouldn't highly recommend this place especially if you have rather limited staying time in beijing.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
34 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

Thank you all for your replies!

Melbourne...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

There is bird flu in Shanghai,be aware of that.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

I think 16 something people, out of 16+ million people living in Shanghai. And only a potential problem with direct contact with live stock.

Please be realistic. Look at the total picture, and do not try to scare people unnecessarily.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

And how would bird flu in Shanghai affect Beijing, 1,200 KM away?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

These birds don't care that they have the flu and should be ticked up in their nests with a hot toddy. They are a new superbreed of genetically engineered carriers called Terrible Intercity Tourist Seekers (T.I.T.S., for short) which deliberately target the gullible. Distance is no object - they can fly! (They have to, especially if they have difficulty buying tickets for the bullet train.) Please everyone, do be realistic!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

I burst out laughing after reading some of your comments "Terrible Intercity Tourist Seekers (T.I.T.S., for short) " Qupnicely,

10. Re: Stone flower Cave worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 07:17