We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Beijing 5 days Itinerary

My friends and I (4 of us) will be visiting Beijing for 5 days. We are all females aged between 20-21, physically fit. Food wise, we are not picky but my friends are Muslim hence no pork. I am a Malaysian Born Chinese and have no problem in reading and speaking Mandarin while my friends know at least basic Chinese. We would be grateful if someone would please advise whether our itinerary is suitable. We would like to blend in with the locals as much as possible. :)

Arrival time: It's gonna be early, at around 7am on Thursday 23rd May. Arrive Beijing by train from Shanghai.

Departure time: (Me) 2am flight back to Malaysia on Tuesday 28th May, friends will fly to Ningbo on Monday 27th night

We will be staying in a courtyard in the Dongcheng DIstrict.

Day 1 (23/5, Thurs):

Tiananmen Square

Forbidden City

Great Hall of the People

National Centre for the Performing Arts

Qianmen

Poly Art Museum

Day 2 (24/5, Friday):

Summer Palace

Old Summer Palace

National Stadium & National Aquatics Centre (catching night view)

Day 3 (25/5, Saturday):

Great Wall of China (Jinshanling)

Day 4 (26/5, Sunday):

Temple of Heaven

Panjiayuan Market

Beihai Park

Chaoyang Theatre

Day 5 (27/5, Monday):

Lama Temple

Drum Tower

Confucius Temple & Imperial College

Nanluoguxiang

We would be grateful if there are any feedbacks - location wise, lesser/bigger crowd on a specific day, something interesting but missing, too packed etc. I was expecting a day totally getting lost in the city just wandering around joining the locals but it turned out Beijing is so huge and I have difficulty in putting the ''must-sees' within a short period while being relax and not rushing. Any suggestion?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,317 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Maybe on day 1 you mean the National Museum? Otherwise looks ok to me. Not too rushed.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Day 1, don't think you'll have time for Poly Art and its in a different area. You'll need to take the bus from the north exit of the Forbidden City back to T. Sq.

Days 2 and 3, ok.

Days 4 and 5, maybe reorder. It would make sense to go Panjiayuan first before Temple of Heaven. From there it is easy to catch the subway up to Lama Temple then walk west to the Confucian Temple and Imperial College. Depending on time, you can continue on to the Houhai area or go to the theatre or to Poly Art. However, if you want to do Beihai I'd suggest you go to the Houhai area (Drum and Bell Towers, Nanluoguxiang etc.) after that on Monday and start off in Jingshan Park.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Sorry for the late reply. TA didn't send me any notifications so I guess I've missed your comment. Nope, I really mean Poly Art :) I know about the National Museum but I'm not going there.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Thanks Qupnicely for your helpful advice. However, there might be a change in accommodation to somewhere nearer to Qianmen, so I guess Day 1 is still ok? Thanks for the Day 4 and 5, I'll work on it again. :)

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

No problem with the minor change of hotel location. Do look where these places are on a map if you haven't already done so. All replies in the forum are open and not addressed to individual posters. You can send private messages by clicking on someone's screen name and following the appropriate link, if you wish. Underneath the message box on the forum is a little box that you need to check if you want email notifications of responses.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Day 1 involves a lot of walking, which isn't necessarily bad. It makes sense to start in the south at Qianmen and work your way north across Tiananmen to the Great Hall of the People and the National Center for the Performing Arts then on to the Forbidden City. If you decide to stay near Qianmen, you can visit there any evening instead. If it is too late to get to Poly Art, you can always fit that in on another day.

Day 2 The palaces are enormous. You may find that you don't have the time or energy to go to the Old Summer Palace, but you can decide that on the day.

Otherwise, fine with some of the above mentioned changes to days 4 and 5. I'm not sold on Beihai. I went back there recently for the first time in about 15 years. It's nice, but it's another imperial park, and you will have seen quite a lot of those by this point.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Thanks everyone on the helpful tips!

Penang Island...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Hi wyleo, I'm interested on how you plan to travel through these 5days. Are you planning to take public transpo to all these places?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

I skipped a few (Lama Temple, Drum Tower, Beihai Park) because they're similar after I've been to quite a number of places (Beijing was my last stop in China). We used subway alot but sometimes, we used cabs. Cabs here are cheap, if you compared to those in Malaysia. Subway costs only RMB2 per trip and it is easy. You can get to nearly all the attractions (in the list) via subway.

Penang Island...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing 5 days Itinerary

Thanks for the feedback. This is really helpful. I am torn if I want to go on a tour package or create my own itinerary like yours. Since you mentioned that you can get to the attractions via subway, it might be a cheaper and better choice to create my own itinerary. The problem with tour package is they force you to stop at a shopping area that you don't intend to buy anyway, so there's a lot of wasted time - at least this was from my previous experience.

Would you be willing to share what hotel you checked-in?

Also, I don't speak mandarin so do you think this is still a good idea in your opinion?