We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing to shanghai

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
11 posts
Save Topic
Beijing to shanghai

Hi, I would like to ask what would be the cheapest way to get to shanghai from Beijing? What's the cheapest airline and around how much would it cost?

Me and my friends, around 8of us, will be having our vacation in Beijing on sept and we plan to go to shanghai for a couple of days. Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing to shanghai

Cheapest is usually bus but I would not do that. Sometimes flights are the next cheapest options if you are lucky enough to buy at the right time. We cannot give you a price as prices change daily and it depends on when you travel.

For trains, fast trains are 555RMB. Slower trains are cheaper. Overnight train in seats are cheaper.

Manila, Philippines
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing to shanghai

Thanks jean.. Any suggested budget airlines I should keep a close eye on for possible cheap fare?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing to shanghai

There is Spring Airlines but not sure that they fly this route. Otherwise check on ctrip.com.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing to shanghai

Bullet train costs a lot. There are 2 normal trains charging 300 RMB more or less on hard sleeper.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing to shanghai

In general cheap is slow.

Like the fast train (553 rmb) will take 4,5 to 5 hours. The 300 rmb one 11 hours. I think the 300 rmb are night trains (hard bed). It saves one hotel night.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing to shanghai

Check the website of Spring Airlines and Juneyao Air:

http://www.china-sss.com/en

http://www.juneyaoair.com/

They are two famous airlines that offer budget flights in China. The budget flights are usually bad in time, say very early in the morning or late in the evening. Juneyao Air's listed price for Beijing-Shanghai is 340 RMB.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing to shanghai

China spring is cheaper but Juneyao not espl. if flying domestic route. To Hong Kong, Juneyao has good performance.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing to shanghai

If you are thinking of airlines, I would say the best way is to take the fast train. It is about 520 RMB one-way, and takes about 5 hours. For a group of 8 people, it is possible that a charter bus might be another option, although I can't say that it will still be cheaper than the train.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing to shanghai

I would recommend you take the bullet trains (Those with routes starting with G) or the fast trains (called DongChe - those starting with D) which are slightly slower but cheaper than the bullet trains. The official website with the schedules is http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/ , but it's all in Chinese. You might wish to call up the Beijing customer service hotline at (010)-12306 to enquire.

Tickets can be bought directly at any train station. Trains to Shanghai depart from Beijing South Railway Station (accessible by Subway line 4).

In my opinion, the bullet trains are much faster. Even though flights only take 1.5 to 2.5 hours, but remember you still have to travel to the Beijing Airport which is far away, check-in 2 hours before the flight departure time, and then travel from Shanghai Airport to the city centre. Whereas the bullet trains are convenient. You just need to be at the gate to board the trains at least 15 to 20 minutes before the actual departure time.

Don't worry about taking the trains. They're comfortable and you'll get to enjoy the scenery along the way (if you get a window seat). :-) Get a first-class or VIP seat if you want more comfort (but at extra cost).

Edited: 02 June 2013, 16:11
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing to shanghai

Some confusing info above. Time-wise, there's not much difference. Price-wise, similar. It's more a matter of personal preference whether you fly or take a train.

An 'early-bird' advanced booked flight is directly comparable to the standard second class seat in a G train in terms of cost.

For timing, you should aim to be at the airport an hour prior to departure, half an hour if going to the train station. Allow an hour to get to the airport and half an hour to get to the station if using the subway system from a downtown location. Travel times have been noted already and then transfers upon arrival in Shanghai are probably very similar.