We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Lansing...
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

Hi all,

Will be traveling to Hong Kong for vacation and then to the mainland, and am wondering what is the best way to get to Beijing from Hong Kong. Preferably, cheap and not very time consuming, but am open to suggestions. This will be my first trip to china and am looking to see as much as possible.

Thank you.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

Fly, about 3 hours. You might get a cheaper flight by crossing into Shenzhen first by train/bus but this will add at least a couple of hours to your journey.

East Lansing...
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

Thank you.

Out of curiosity, long would a train from Shenzhen to Beijing or Shanghai take? And off the top of your head an estimated price if you know of one.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

Beijing to Shanghai took my daughter about 5 to 6 hrs on the new fast train and cost around 700 yuan though she was travelling on to another city near Shanghai. That's about 70 GB pounds. Think you could get it cheaper but that would be on a much slower train.

Don't know what that is in US$. But a currency convertor will be your friend :-)

Edited: 01 August 2013, 16:22
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

Hi Craig:

The Hong Kong train to Beijing, is about a day's journey. See links below.

As noted above, the high speed train from Beijing to Shanghai is about 5 hours, and probably costs about $80-90. Brilliant way to see both Beijing and Shanghai.

The cheapest way for you to get to Honk Kong and Beijing is probably to buy a multi-city or open-jaw flight from the U.S. I flew into Beijing from Toronto (via Hong Kong), took the train to Shanghai, and then flew Shanghai to Hong Kong before returning to Toronto. I had a great time visiting all three cities.

Also, I would suggest arranging the China visa while you're home before your trip and not waiting to apply and obtain when in Hong Kong. Do a Google search for the China visa service in the US. Good luck!

chinatrainguide.com/hongkong-train-travel/be…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing-Kowloon_Through_…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

Ooops, and sorry for the typo on your name. Too late to edit now.

B.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

Hmm... In answer to your question that hasn't been addressed above, the high-speed train from Shenzhen to Beijing would take 10.5hrs and cost about 1000¥ second class, a sleeper would be about 30hrs and half this price. A sleeper to Shanghai, no high-speed link yet, about 19hrs from about 350¥. In all cases you would be advised to secure tickets ahead of time, preferably as soon as they go on sale, for which you would need the services of an agency if you are not in China. I would fly.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

You can fly for around $100. Check Spring Airlines.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

HIgh speed train can be fun, but 10.5 hours is too much of a good thing, 8 out of 10 hours will not be fun, that is wasting one whole day on the train, time is money when traveling. Flying is much more effective and economical.

9. Re: Getting to Beijing from Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:18