We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Tripadvisor.com or Chinahilights.com?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
China Tripadvisor.com or Chinahilights.com?

I'm trying to look up train tickets on chinatripadvisor and chinahilights websites, which are supposed to show real time availability.

The train I want ( G653) Beijing -Xian is showing 100+ tickets available on most days within 20 days from today, however when I search Beijing - Luoyang Longmen on the same day, same train, same route ( it stops at Luoyang ) all tickets are miraculously sold out. So it looks, I can book a ticket to Xian ( more expensive) but I can't to Luoyang ( cheaper ) on the same train!!

This makes me wonder how reliable these online agencies are? They obviously want to make more money by forcing you to buy more expensive tickets to the last destination of the train, not the destination en-route you want.

Can somebody advise how to get these tickets without getting ripped off?

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Tripadvisor.com or Chinahilights.com?

I never buy it online. If you have time, go to train station to buy ticket.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Tripadvisor.com or Chinahilights.com?

Or you can buy from a regular ticket agent when you arrive. However, you'd be advised to do this well in advance which might be impractical. Alternatively, try DIY travel who are reviewed on this site.

Tickets for stops between main destinations are limited by the railway bureau not by the ticket agencies. I don't know if you can buy these 'last minute' or not or whether you'll just have to pay the extra to Xian.

China Poot Bay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China Tripadvisor.com or Chinahilights.com?

If you have concerns, buy the tickets from official website.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: China Tripadvisor.com or Chinahilights.com?

It is difficult to buy tickets online.

You 'd better buy it on train station or ticket agent when you are in beijing.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China Tripadvisor.com or Chinahilights.com?

Buy a ticket at the train station, you shouldn't have a problem. However, are you taking the overnight train that goes from Beijing to Luoyang? If so, it is possible the tickets are sold out. I assume you are travelling soon. And are you trying to get to Xi'an via Luoyang, with the intention of stopping off in Luoyang? You might have to buy two tickets, I am not sure. I had a tour guide buy the tickets for us. Yes, she charged a fee, but it was much less than we would have paid an agent. I know a fantastic tour guide in Beijing who might be able to get the tickets for you if you are worried you won't be able to get them yourself. I can give you her name and email.

6. Re: China Tripadvisor.com or Chinahilights.com?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 06:18