We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Ticket Prices

East Lansing...
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Airline Ticket Prices

Hi All,

I am planning a trip from Hong Kong to Beijing, and am wondering if the prices I am seeing are good or not. So far I have found the cheapest flight to be $331 (USD) from HKG to PEK on China Southern Airlines. It is worth mentioning that my trip is still several months in the future, so I am not sure if I am better off waiting, but I just wanted to get a feel for what I ought to expect price wise.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,441 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

If you use an international online travel site or your local travel agent outside of HK, that's the price you'll get.

Cheaper fares are available, for example on HK Airlines, or other airlines own websites, or from HK travel agents, closer to departure dates.

You can check fares available locally from websites such as

www.ticket.hk/ED/bookAir.do?method=query

Bear in mind that local travel agents typically do not have online booking or payment facilities.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

You have no date, can't check prices. Have you check with a HK travel agent?

You can also check ctrip.com, I typed in a random Sept date, price is 920yuan+286 surcharge=1204 yuan=US$200, one way. Round trip total 1743 yuan=US$285.

1- CS China English website price is much cheaper than CS's overseas website, both look very similar. This is the China site: http://www.csair.com/en/. This is the overseas site: www.flychinasouthern.com/index.php?lang=en Prices are higher.

2- You must have CS membership to buy online.

3- On the Chinese site (in English) You can only pay for it with Chinese credit card or Chinese online payment or bank accts.

4- The discount price is available 3 months away. For example, today is 8/7 in China, only for 11/7 or later.

China Poot Bay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

I have found the cheapest flight to be $220 (USD) from HKG to PEK on Air China.You can check the ticket information in web site http://et.airchina.com.cn

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

Watch out for the surcharge, ctrip round trip is 1210 RMB, surcharge is 533-625 rmb, that is US$100 just on surcharge.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,869 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

Check on www.travelzen.com

Same pricing as ctrip except that they do not have the 3% extra charge for foreign credit cards.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

You are right, travelzen prices are same as ctrip, I checked on same Xian-BJ tickets I just bought thru ctrip. Never heard of this one before. But it does not show any surcharge, I clicked to advance but need to sign up a membership. No surcharge or it shows up later? That is a little tricky, because surcharge is pretty big, but okay as long as you know how the game is played.

East Lansing...
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

Yes I have noticed the surcharge that is added late on several sites. I found some prices relatively cheap on Spring Air which I saw Jean Pierre recommend on another post, which has reasonable prices and the only problem being that you can only book up to three months in advance. My trip is still 7 months in the future so it's not a problem, mainly I just wanted to get a feel for what I should expect so I could start budgeting appropriately.

-Thank you.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,869 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

You cannot book 7 months in advance with anybody. Tickets are only released 3 months in advance. And you will end up paying full price. Just wait.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

My suggestion is to wait closer to your travel date, but as you already found out, CS does sell advance tickets. On domestic English site, advance tickets beyond 3 months are cheaper, but difficult for you to buy, see post No.2.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,441 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline Ticket Prices

Return fare SEP 13 -18 (Airlines, Fare in HKD, Fare class)

HK Airlines 1530 X

China Southern 1650 E

Air China 3560 K

Dragon Air 3590 M

>>you cannot book 7 months in advance with anybody.

You can absolute book up to 12 months in advance with any IATA travel agent or most international airline websites (such as Cathay Pacific) on any fares available on the GDS (granted they are typically expensive fares). For instance Jul 8-16 2014 on Cathay is showing 5900HKD return.