We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair colouring in Beijing!!

1ec
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Hair colouring in Beijing!!

Is it easy to find red/plum hair dyes either in Beijing shops or salons? My hair will need attention while I am away and I am told the mixture does not travel well!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

I do not recall seeing hair color as I moved about town, but have noticed many many people color their hair probably to cover up the gray. I'll keep my eyes open.

1ec
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

Thank you. I realise it is a bit of an unusual request!

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

Many supermarkets have it, with shampoo and other hair stuffs.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

Virtually every hairdresser will be able to colour your hair. Just be aware that the colour you pick seems to be a lot more orange than you think. It must be that the colours are set for chinese hair and it comes out different on western hair, if your are not maturally black haired.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

There are a few hairdressers in Beijing now with Western staff that you can go and see. I really wouldn't recommend you go to a Chinese salon as Chinese hair is so very different to Western hair. I've heard of a few hair disasters from people visiting Chinese hairdressers, and that was just a cut!!

There's a big salon in Beijing near the Workers Stadium in Sanlitun called Tata that has Western stylists.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

Many local residents buy red/plum hair dyes on supermarket.

Then let barber dyes to you, it cost 40 or 60 rmb for handwork.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

Professional colouring for western hair is VERY expensive at decent Beijing salons. Best not to switch product since you could be allergic to something new, not to mention difficulty in matching color across manufacturers. My suggestion to you is to bring your preferred dye part (colorant) in tube/cream format, unopened with boxes placed in a sealable plastic bag. Wait until Beijing to purchase the developer component at a local supply store (if doing it yourself) or let a Beijing colorist use their developer + your dye. Ask your current colorist for the formulation you use, processing time, and write it down to take with you.

Also, Chinese colorists often apply color to the ends and body of hair first, then the roots later. Which is backwards for what western colorists normally do unless you are looking for some pretty strange effects. Keep this in mind if going to a cheaper Chinese place--you'll have to somehow explain it to them which is tricky with no Mandarin. If it's a simple touch up or all-over job without cap-pulled highlights, you might do just as well yourself and save a pack of cash. Just stay in a place with great shower pressure on Dye Day.

1ec
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

Extremely helpful answers thank you. The difference between Chinese and Western hair is bound to make a difference. Yes, my Mandarin will not be up to difficult explanations ie those beyond hello!

I might have to do it one evening in a hotel and hope for the best with a locally bought one. I am going to be away just long enough not to be able to overlook hair growth.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

I've done my stubborn gray root growth myself, on the road traveling in backwoods China before, taking my own hair colorant in tubes and developer in a small plastic bottle (cap sealed shut with paraffin wax) and all put in a plastic bag along with the mixing bowl, gloves, and brush. Then just picked a hotel with a great shower and pressure, and spent a couple of hours doing the deed myself. Not as great as a professional, but it bought me 5 more weeks or presentable appearance, until I could get back to my pro in Beijing.

Hair dye made and sold in China can be quite toxic and particularly those red shades. There are still formulations made (illegally) with heavy metals. I strongly suggest you take product from home. Be particularly careful of western name brands like L'Oreal, Schwartzkopf, Redken, etc that in China can only be distributed to salons through reps--anything you find in Chinese shops and markets purporting to be these are likely to be fake. Counterfeit beauty products are a problem in China, similar to counterfeit pharmaceuticals.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 19:25
10. Re: Hair colouring in Beijing!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 06:21