We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

I will be travelling with just me and my son, do we need to worry about pick pockets and buy speacial concelling money belts etc

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

It's very safe here. Just be cautious on the subway and any crowded places, but no need for concealed belts etc.

Nanjing, China
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

They will not move to foreign tourists. If they do, policemen will try their best to catch them.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

It is certainly less of an issue than many European cities that I have been too. Relax and enjoy your trip. Just don't make yourself an easy target.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

Seriously Dede? Pickpockets is one of the most serious crimes against tourists in Beijing and Shanghai, in addition to some scams. It never hurts to carry your credit cards, large sums of currency, and documents in a money belt. I use a wallet that hooks onto my belt but is concealed inside my pants. I only carry small amounts of currency in my pockets.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

Like in any big city all over the world, you have to be aware of pickpocketing. Just take the normal precautions.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,065 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

Almost every foreigner I know has been pickpocketed in Zhuhai/Shenzhen/Macau so Dede, it might not happen in Nanjing, but it does happen too often in developed cities. Being aware of your wallet, passport , phone etc at all times is important - and yes those concealed mony belts are a good idea.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

Just take sensible precautions same as you would anywhere else. Don't leave your common-sense at home.

bheh1314
Level Contributor
158 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

I would far rather walk the streets of Beijing on my own than the streets of Manchester UK.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

Thanks for the comments, very helpful and a concealing wallet will allow me to relax more I guess

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is Beijing and Shanghai

The best and safe way is put bag on your body front, you can see the bag all the time.