We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mutianyu to Jiankou

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
warwick, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Mutianyu to Jiankou

Hi

I am trying to work out the best place to visit the Great Wall. Can I walk from Mutianyu ( using the cable car to get to the wall!)l -and then walk/clamber/climb to Jiankou? This may sound like a crazy question , but there are lots of references to walking from Jiankou to Mutianyu but not in the opposite direction!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mutianyu to Jiankou

You can do it as the sections do link up. Technically, I think you are not permitted to do it but no doubt there is some way to get around this. In any event, you are advised to be guided through Jiankou and would require private transport arranged in advance. Further info may be found on www.greatwallforum.com or you might ask TA member Ricky Wong who runs the wildgreatwall website.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mutianyu to Jiankou

I am not sure if it is possible to do the reversed way, but in the past Jiankou to Mutianyu is always OK. So should be OK if no guard stops you from Mutianyu. Any way, you need to hire a professional guide for Jiankou, who should know the update situation. The east part of Jiankou is ok, not crazy, but west part is horror. New hand generally only does the east part for one day. The whole Jiankou requires 2-3 days.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mutianyu to Jiankou

Most people do it the other way around. I guess this has to do with the ease of arranging transport. Mutianyu has a clear exit. Jiankou not, so it is harder to arrange a place where a driver should wait.

Officially Jiankou is not open for public, but nobody seems to bother. Jiankou is spectacular, because it has not been restored. On the other side this also means there are some dangerous spots. If you use common sense it is no problem.

But I would not advice to do this as a single person. If you are alone out there and something happens there is no way that you can explain where you are.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mutianyu to Jiankou

No matter which part of Jiankou you do, keep in mind a guide is indispensable in any cases. DIY is silly thought. Also, better leave kids in hotel.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mutianyu to Jiankou

I have been there, and do not really agree with the last post.

Yes, there are dangerous part, but as long as you use common sense, it is manageable. Especially the way to mutianyu is not that bad.

You do not need a guide, but should not go alone. And prepare. Lots of info on the site mentioned earlier.

6. Re: Mutianyu to Jiankou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 13:16
Edited: 25 September 2014, 13:16
7. Re: Mutianyu to Jiankou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 06:22