We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in China

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First time in China

Hi, my husband and I are thinking about a trip to China.. Before I start my research I wanted some advice on a suggested itinerary we might go for 10/14 days. We're thinking about active start and finish with relaxing couple of days before heading back. Definitely want to include the Great Wall.... But any suggestions on itinerary would be great :)

Thank you

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in China

Oh... Forgot to mention... It's for November :) thank you

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in China

The first half Nov. is quite good for traveling China. 10-14 days tour for a first-timer can figure the Beijing, Xian, Guilin and Shanghai. If time left, Shanghai surrounding area like Hangzhou, Suzhou and some nearby water towns are advised.

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in China

Great :) thank you... I'll start looking at those destinations.

Is it quite easy to travel between these places?

nottingham
Level Contributor
126 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in China

Hi, we're arranging a similar trip over 16 nights for next year. Look up Englishctrip.com for local flights. It seems easy enough once you get started. We've only booked international flights so far but I keep my eye on this forum for advice. Good luck.

Leeton
Level Contributor
14 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in China

We arrived back last month after about 19 days. We planned our trip ourselves and came up with the following. We arrived in Beijing, did about 4 days then took an overnight train to Xi'an for about 3 days. We then flew to Chengdu for about 2 days then caught a train to Chongqing and then took a Yangtze River Cruise from there to Yichang (4 days). We caught a plane to Shanghai where we stayed about 3 days and then caught a very fast train to Beijing for another 2 days and then flew home. The cruise was a great opportunity to slow down and relax. We had a great time all round.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 10:42
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in China

We didi HK-Guilin-Xi'an-Luoyang-Beijing in just over two weeks. We took planes HK-Guilin-Xian, then trains to Luoyang and Beijing, including an overnight train for,the latter. I wouldn't have done anything differently, except maybe one night less in Yangshuo (stayed there for three nights, two nights in Guilin) and one night more in Xi'an. Especially in November, you won't want to stay so long in the Guilin region. With the extra night in Xi'an, we would have done a day at Huashan mountain, and in fact I do regret that we didn't get there. Though in November it would be cold, but no less spectacular. In fact probably much better because of fewer tourists. Luoyang was interesting and I would go,if you can. I also would have liked one more day in Beijing (we had 4.) thinking about it, I am not sure Guilin is even a good bet in November. I think the rice terraces will be brown. It will still be interesting, but not so pretty. Also, I don't imagine you will want to spend much time on the Li River at that time of,year, but do some research. I don't know if it gets very cold in that region. Anyway, we had a Rey busy two weeks and two days, and if I did it again, I would do 4 nights tops in the Guilin region (less i think when it's cold), 3 nights Xi'an, one day in Luoyang/Shaolin Temple, with night train(sleeper) to Beijing, 6 nights Beijing. And I wish I had had an extra week, because I would have also,loved to have gone to western China near Dali and Lijiang.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in China

Oh, by the way, a trip to Mutianyu (great Wall) is a short day excursion from Beijing. Get there at 8 if you can, you will be done by noon. Very nice.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in China

Please get yourself familiar with the common scams in China. Mostly in Beijing and Shanghai. See here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k297…

Bottom line: Do NOT follow any local approaching you in good English, no matter how sweet they or their stories are. It`s a scam in 99% of the cases and many tourists learned the hard way because they thought to be "rude" rejecting those offers.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 14:57
Singapore, null...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in China

I will be in Beijing (first time) Dec 4-10 with my husband. Anyone travelling that period? Maybe we can meet up? I will be staying at the Dongcheng district 161 Hotel.

Zhengzhou, China
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in China

suggestion about ur trip: beijing, zhengzhou, luoyang, xi'an, shanghai.

Beijing is the capital, Shanghai is modern China, like Zhengzhou,Kaifeng, luoyang, xi'an, u could see the ancient China