We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air pollution

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
air pollution

Hi travellers,

Me and my wife are travelling to Beijing in early Nov. Looking at the air pollution rating, would be great if you could provide advise whether we should still progress with our travel plan, will the weather around Mutianyu be as bad as Beijing?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air pollution

Pollution is somewhat related to weather so nobody can predict it.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: air pollution

I don't understand your question. There's a link or two in Top Questions to these matters if you are looking for further info on these topics.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air pollution

How long were you planning to stay? Unless you have a serious respiratory condition, I don't see why you would be concerned for a week's stay or even a few weeks.

Anecdotally, my wife and I experienced some intermittent eye and nasal irritation but none worse than a seasonal pollen episode in our own country. Visually, we saw the effects of pollution at various sites including the Great Wall but it did not negatively impact our overall experience.

I wouldn't give it another thought about it unless there were serious medical issues. I certainly wouldn't let it impact my decision to visit.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air pollution

At this time of the year where you have warm/mild days and cool evening, you are likely on many days to experience fog, so no point going to the Wall too early.

Cernusco sul...
Level Contributor
2 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: air pollution

Hi, here is our personal experience.

I went to Beijing for four days between last December and January.

At that time, the weather was sunny, without clouds, with frozen climate and a lot of ice around the city.

One day we went to Mutianyu and to the Summer palace with the same weather conditions.

In Beijing the pollution was terrible, we had our scarves stuck to the mouth all the time, because of air pollution we had the sensation that our mouths (saliva) were bitter.

Many people wore a simple face mask, if this face mask feels you better, you should buy one.

Anyway, I enjoyed Beijing, I didn't have any particular problem, just a bad sensation when we breathed.

With my scarf on the face, I feel very well. Maybe, it is just an habit.

Around Beijing, for instance at Mutianyu, that sensation was better.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: air pollution

This is not meant to be rude, but I was in Jakarta for 4 days in December of 1991, and can still remember the horrible air pollution there. i don't know if it got better over the years.

I was in Beijing for 4 days in July of 2010. I think both Jakarta and Beijing have poor air quality. So if you currently live in Jakarta, you will survive Beijing too. I just don't think Beijing's air is any worse than Jakarta.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: air pollution

I arrived Beijing yesterday, air is not an issue.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: air pollution

Air pollution is bad in Beijing. No doubt about that.

But that is not the issue. The issue is if it it bad for you if you stay there for only a short time. My answer is simple. No, unless you have problems with your lungs.

Living in Jakarta is much worse then visiting Beijing for a few days. Pollution in Jakarta is also bad, but less visible.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
592 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: air pollution

Today is really bad. The US embassy has a pollution indicator and they rank the air as "very unhealthy" right now.

http://www.stateair.net/web/post/1/1.html

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: air pollution

What I found funny in the question from OP is that Jakarta is above Beijing in the pollution index in the list of big cities.

So someone living at a worse place is asking if a relatively better place is bad for him.

Even Shanghai is worse then Beijing if you look at the yearly figures, although people will not think that. This is because it is not visible that much.

What people do not know is that air quality is not the same as air pollution. The figures shown on the embassy side are only focussed on one item (PM2.5), while air quality is a mix of items in combination with circumstances.

Also with air pollution, it is very critical where you take your measurements.