We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another visa question

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Topic
another visa question

Hello,

I used 72-hr visa free program without any problem in shanghai in May, flew in from Kuala Lumpur to Shanghai and departed back to home San Francisco after 71-hour.

Now I have another visa question. I want to use this program in Beijing, fly in from Japan to beijing for 72-hour and then depart back to home. The problem is the flight from Osaka to Beijing on China Eastern has a stop/layover in Shanghai or Qingdao for 2-hour. Does it mean I have to clear the immigration/custom in Shanghai or Qingdao even though my final destination is beijing? Does it mean I cannot take advantage of 72-hour visa free program in beijing in this situation? One way flight non-stop from Osaka to Beijing is USD $1500 and there is no way I would pay that.

thank you very much

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another visa question

If you have a double transit in China then you are down to the 24-hour exemption.

however if there is no change of plane and you clear immigration in Beijing only then you are probably OK. I assume that your ticket has no mention of Shanghai? Check with the airline about the plane change.

Kassel, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: another visa question

Well this is excactly what I did.

I booked that flight from Osaka via Qingdao to Beijing, hoping to get a transit visa since I had a flight from Beijing to Düsseldorf within 72 hours. But when I arrived at KIX, they wouldn't let me board, because apparently immigration (not custom though!) has to be done in Qingdao. So you get off, go through immigration and board the exactly same plane again. It is the same flight number for both flights (MU 526) and on some booking websites it even says direct flight or without plane change, that's why I assumed I would enter the country in Beijing - well, should've asked before..

Anyways, I couldn't take the flight and had to book and entire new one, still not sure about any sort of refund. So I'm curious, did you take that flight and ended up in the same situation? Or is there anyone else who tried it and knows anything about refund?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another visa question

Not sure why you expect a refund. You only qualify if you bought a ticket that allow you to cancel with refund.

4. Re: another visa question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:15