We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smog

Fort Lauderdale...
1 post
Save Topic
Smog

Any recent travelers to Beijing? What are your thoughts on the smog situation please?

Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Smog

I'd like to know as well, it's a bit of a weird story, in some places you can read it all turned out to be a bit of a hoax, but i have my doubts about that one. I guess it's safe to bring one of these either way http://visdiaz.com/mask-img-432/ :D

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smog

Seriously? You are going to wear one of those on the streets of Beijing?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smog

Yeah, right. Two people join today and the second posts a weblink that advertises masks.

It's a beautiful, clear sunny day in Beijing today.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,711 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smog

Yeah and they posted 10 minutes apart.

Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smog

Ehm, sorry? It's an image of a gasmask, nothing is promoted here, or do you see a shop selling gasmasks anywhere?

And i assume everybody would realise it was a joke....guess i overestimated people's intelligence..

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smog

Well, how is the situation: Not nice. But the majority of the 1.6 bn people survive it. Like the majority of people do fly without a plane crash. Think about the radiation on the flight to Beijing and back home. Nearly equals two chest x-rays.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smog

More like you overestimated your ability to be funny, Laura B. Not a great start to your TA contributions.

This topic has been over-discussed, particularly of late. Excuse me for having little time for it. There is a link in Top Questions to information about this.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smog

Just returned from Beijing and air pollution is an everyday issue . Some days are better than others with a baseline that far exceeds US EPA standards. Air pollution is an issue in major cities. We found the air polluted in Shanghai and Xi'ian. The use of coal outdoor fires and internal combustion vehicles creates a unhealthily outcome.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Smog

you need a N95 Mask this week, may be in next week.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smog

What AQI-levels do people use as a rule of thumb to put on a N95-mask?