We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

Alabama
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

My family and I (from around the world) are meeting up in Beijing on the first week of May. I want to throw a great and fun birthday party for my 3 kids and daughter-in-law. Any suggestions on a memorable restaurant that might help me with this? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,766 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

Great plan! However you may indicate your requirements in more detail. There are thousands of restaurants in BJ and so many different types, price levels, styles...

A Beijing Duck restaurant would be my first thought. Maybe one of the Da Dong or Quanjude restaurants. You can book a private room for your party and enjoy.

I find Hai di lao Hot Pot (海底捞火锅) is fun, but not sure if you would have the same view.

I and other people could provide you with an endless list of special places in Beijing, but it depends on your taste.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

Thank you for your reply. To be more specific. We are staying in the Xicheng District. Looking for a restaurant where I could possibly book a room or large table (will be seven of us), One that is is mid-priced, serves good Chinese-style food and is accustomed to meeting the needs of "foreigners". I realize that Beijing is a large city. Is there a district best known for restaurants?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

There are restaurants all over Beijing. No single district has the best choices. Perhaps if you can say where exactly you're staying you might get some local recommendations, assuming you don't want to travel too far. Xicheng district covers a large area/big population.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

We are staying at

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Beijing

168 Guang An Men Wai Ave | Beijing | | China 100055

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,766 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

A table for 7 is rather a small table in China from a traditional point of view. To book a private room is quite standard. There is often a minimum charge. You should ask in advance how much it is to avoid surprises.

"serves good Chinese-style food" is a challenge - not a challenge to meet this requirement, a challenge to manage the choice. Most restaurants are Chinese in Beijing.

As you seem not to have too much experience yet with Beijing and China, I recommend to go for the Beijing Duck.

Search for Dadong in Tripadvisor and check the reviews and pictures. It is not walking distance from your hotel. About 12km. Possible by taxi or metro. Famous amongst foreigners as well. Should be easy to manage.

Bianyifang Hademen Restaurant could be an alternative, a little closer (9km)

18 Chongwenmen Outer Street, Glory Plaza 4/F, Chongwen District

Phone: +86-10-67112244

Subway Line 2 or Line 5 to Chongwenmen Station

If you prefer spicy food, there are good Szechuan restaurants around.

If you prefer lamb, we can find a Xibei (North West) restaurant. You could have a whole lamb there, but you would need to find more people. Alternatively a part of a lamb. They also serve pasta and salat in local style.

If you prefer......., there is always the right restaurant available in Beiing. It is a food heaven.....

Mentioned in this post
Chongwenmen Hotel
Chongwenmen Hotel
282 Reviews
Beijing, China
Beijing Subway
Beijing Subway
1,302 Reviews
Beijing, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,805 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

If you want something special and not just another restaurant then try the Bai Family Courtyard restaurant. They have a sample Beijing opera show during dinner if you book in the main dining room. The decor is amazing, worth the detour. Not close to your hotel but close to the Summer Palace if you go there.

regenttour.com/chinaplanner/…bj-food-bai.htm

The show is at bout 7pm.

As sais above, 7 people is not considered a big group for a restaurant. when families or friends go out for dinner, it is always at least 7 people.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

I fully agree wit JP. The court yard restaurant is very special.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

Thoughts:

1) With a party of 7, I'd opt for a regular round table (usually can fit 8 or 10) in the main dining room, much more interesting to see action rather than being shut up in a private room.

2) Selection of restaurant should be made geographically. If you will be going to dinner from your hotel would make for one set of possibilities. But if you will be going to dinner directly from somewhere else in the city, might be a different set of possibilities. How are you crafting the afternoon on birth day?

3) Plan to make reservation and eat early, especially for duck. Many Beijing restaurants will not make reservations for anything beyond 18:30 since they cannot predict when first seating diners will finish, and they won't hurry people out to make room for a new group. Duck restaurants, you will need to specify when you make the reservation, how many ducks you need. I suspect that for a party that includes 3 kids that aren't teenagers, two whole ducks will be enough, since you will also order multiple addtional dishes.

4) I cannot think of anything worse for the digestion than listening to the caterwauling of Beijing Opera, so I recommend skipping this option. In fact, I recommend just focusing on restaurant experience and the birthday, and doing any shows separately. Acrobats or kung fu would likely make your group happier than Beijing opera.

Since Beijing has good restaurants in nearly all parts of the city, there's no need to fixate on places that require a cross-town trip in rush hour traffic to get to.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

Thank you for your time and effort in thinking about this - very helpful and really appreciated!

10. Re: Great restaurant in Beijing for a birthday party

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:18