We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

Rockford
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

I will be flying to Beijing and spending a week there and I would like to get a 3G card with data to have internet available during my stay.

I imagine it's very easy to get one at the airport and probably there's lots of options and staff speaks English, but my flight arrives after 10 PM and I guess all phone card stands will be closed. So I imagine I will have to buy it in the city.

If anyone can tell me where I should go (7 eleven, bank, kiosk, or whatever) and what are the options or what I should ask for... since I imagine that in the city people would not speak English and it will be difficult to explain what I want.

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

Hi, since you are flying into Beijing-then get it at the airport.-ok, sorry saw your next para.

Well, next day, if you find yourself at Dongdan subway station- China UNicom has a shop next to this station.

Just bear in mind, numbers that have more "8" command higher price,and let no sales fellow mock you around, just go for any random number.

Along Wangfujing pedestrian street ,there is also CHina Unicom shop.

Maybe just circle on this page:-

3g.10010.com/3gindex/3gfee/yu_plan.html

Mentioned in this post
Waterford Works...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

can find a Unicom shop near your your hotel and don't forget to bring your passport. They will ask you to choose one plan for the sim card. You can refer http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/mthplan . Or if you would like to spend some $ for convenience, you can order online on the website before you leave for China.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,053 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

I guess kmtravel has not been in Beijingn a while.

There is no place to buy a SIM at the Beijing airport. The price of SIM cards have nothing to do with the phone number. As you need a data plan you need to go to a China Unicom (or China Mobile) store. Ask your hotel where is the nearest one. Bring your passport. There are various plans offered, while you manot speak or read Chinese, you'll be able to figure it out with Uxpressions like "mb" that you will recognize.

Understand that because you see a China unicom sign on a store front does not mean that it is a China Unicom store. You may find it easier to pre order a card with 3Gsolutions quoted above.

Mentioned in this post
Rockford
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

Thanks! You saved my life. That website has exactly what I need. I will try to order the SIM card online to have it delivered home so I have internet available right after landing. I also appreciate the convenience of having a phone number before getting to China. Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

Hi Jean,

really, you mean those shops in T3 no longer there- China Mobile and CHina Unicom.

Last trip to Beijing- sometime in mid 2012 and another late Sept/Oct 2012.

If so, thanks for the update.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,053 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

It has been closed for a a year ot two. They have put in place some machine that even a person fluent in Chinese cannot figure out.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 03:44
7. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 11:02
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

Can the UCOMobile's sim card be purchased over the counter at any shops?

I am having some trouble purchasing online as I had not confirm my hotel and am arriving on Monday (15th Dec).

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,053 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

I never heard of that company but this one has excellent reviews here: http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/simcard

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy a 3G sim card with data in Beijing?

#7 is an advertisement posted by Steven S who posted all advertisements on the first day of registration. Wonder why it is so easy to spam on Tripadvisor forum.