We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

Hello,

Please make it clear that I have read most of the topics under "Top questions on Beijing" section and am not at all clear. I am even more confused now.

My flight landed in Beijing at 0610. And the next flight out of Beijing is at 1540. I have to be at the airport by 1340 (worst case).

So once I reach Beijing, I need to go to the Airport Train Express to Dongzhimen Station which takes about 20 mins. Then take Express bus 916 (916 kuai che) from Dongzhimen Station to Huairou City which takes about 1 hr 10 mins. Then from Huairou City, I need to take a minibus to Mutianyu Wall which takes about 30 mins. In total it is about 2 hours from Beijing Capital Airport to Mutianyu Wall right? Please advise if I am wrong.

If the time is right, I will reach Mutianyu Wall by 0830 and then walk around for 2-3 hours and depart for the Airport by 1130. I will reach the airport at 1330.

I have additional questions below:

1. How to know that I have reach Dongzhimen Station? I can't speak/ read chinese.

2. Where exactly is Express bus 916 located?

3. How to know that I have reach Huairou City?

4. Where is the minibus located?

5. Is the minibus like a taxi?

6. Advise on minibus, express bus price and etc.

7. Is traffic bad when going or coming back from Mutianyu Wall? I am traveling on Friday (April).

8. What time does most bus operates in Beijing?

9. Do I go to the same bus-stop and etc when coming back from Mutianyu Wall?

Thanks in advance.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

As I suggested in your other thread on the same topic, it would be advisable to hire a private driver in advance.

Your expectations are not realistic and you would be wasting time travelling back and forth in the opposite directions to where you intend to travel.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

Why can't you be a little optimistic? Its an adventure. And of course, if I am short for time, i'll sure will hail any cab to the airport even if it might cost me 500RMB.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

Your timing is all wrong. When your plane lands, do you expect to magically be transported from your plane seat to a seat in the airport e presss? If so then you are watching too many Star Trek movies. I think that you will arrive at the Wall around 11h.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,043 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

If your sense of adventure includes the possibility of missing your flight and have to incur huge expenses of booking a hotel room for an overnight stay, then by all means go at it. The problem is your timing is all wrong as JP pointed out. And Mutianyu is not like Singapore city where you can just hail a cab to the airport. It's a rural area where even if you can find a driver willing to take you back to the airport he can just name any price knowing you have no options.

Good luck.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

Thank you all:)

I am still sticking to my stand that it is possible but since I am going with my sister who is not adventurous enough, I will be getting a cab instead.

Does anyone know of any cab that is reasonably cheap and willing to send us to Mutianyu Wall and then send us back to the Airport? I do not need tour guide. And I do not need him to know how to speak english. I can understand alittle mandarin.

BJ
Level Contributor
430 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

while,for such a short trip,time is the key,why you not hire a car from the airport to the Wall and hike a long time on the Wall?you would like to spend lots of time on the way but not on the Wall.It is weird to me.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

See.. I was planning to be a little adventurous but everyone was against it. So yeahh... I'm taking the cab instead.

Does you know of any cab that is reasonably cheap and willing to send us to Mutianyu Wall and then send us back to the Airport? I do not need tour guide. And I do not need him to know how to speak english. I can understand alittle mandarin.

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

LobsterOyster, others are not "against" your "adventurous idea", they just pointed out it is not realistic. If you want you can still try public transportation.

You are planing to rent a taxi for more than half a day, and you do not know Chinese, prepare to pay 600-800 RMB.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

We are not against your idea, we just know that it does not work. I flew in Beijing, dozens of time so I know how long it takes.

For the benefit of others who may want to try this, here is how it goes. If you land at 6h30, you need to get off the plane, walk to immigration, stand in line for a while, take the train to the arrival terminal. You will finally take the Airport Express at 7h30. You have to wait for the next train to depart, say 10 minutes. So it is now 7h40. The train ride is 35 minutes to Dongzhimen. It is now 8h15. You walk out and look for the bus, another 15-20 minutes. Once you find the bus stop, the bus does not leave right away, you may have to wait one hour. It is now 9h30. So you get to the Wall past 11h.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: SOS Public Bus/ Train from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Wall

Hello all. I am speaking in totally which includes my parents, relatives and friends as well. They are against it too. They said that it is also not safe for us ladies to travel alone using public transport.

So it is about 600-800 RMB? Thanks. I am still surveying for those slightly cheaper:)