We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forbidden City or Not

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Forbidden City or Not

I know that the FC is steeped in history and is a massive architectural feat. I have also read several posts which suggest that once inside there isn't much to see except the architecture itself. Any comments whether it is worth the RMB and the time?

Indonesia
Level Contributor
67 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forbidden City or Not

Is it your first time to Beijing? If you have time, why not? What people think about some place its different. Some people maybe like, some people maybe think its nothing. IMO since your will be in Beijing and have some free time, just go there.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Forbidden City or Not

It only costs you US$9.77 to see the World's largest royal palace.You can skip it if you think it is so expensive.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forbidden City or Not

I would say it is worth visiting. Definately one of the worlds greatest man made marvels, well in my opinion anyway.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forbidden City or Not

Have a guide telling you the backgrounds, then the visit will be worth much more.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forbidden City or Not

It is a beautiful place, I really thing it is one of those landmarks not to miss. It is worth to pay to go inside and see it. Do not get crazy about seeing every corner or paying to see every exposition, just to wonder around is beautiful, but really a shame to go there and do not see it from inside.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forbidden City or Not

For $10 it's a no-brainer. Second only to the Great Wall.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forbidden City or Not

A highlight of our trip to China, but I agree in that it's much more interesting when you have a guide telling you about the incredible history of the place. Personally I wouldn't miss it.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forbidden City or Not

Reading beforehand about it or hiring a guide will help you understand what you are looking at and what those buildings are. If one is to skip the FC because they are just some old buildings then you may as we'll skip Beijing or even going to China.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forbidden City or Not

It is mostly architecture, though hopefully the scale will impress. (The Great Wall is also just a big wall...)

I agree with others, though, read a bit ahead and get a guide or audioguide. Otherwise, it is hard to make sense of it and it might just feel like a bunch of boring buildings. I have taken students there who thought it was boring.

There are some museums inside with things like the Imperial clock collection. Generally, though, the place is so huge that most visitors won't have the time or energy to explore those things.

The old movie The Last Emperor is worth watching before or after to get a feel for life in the palace in its final days.

I suppose one option would be to climb up coal hill and take a look over the Forbidden City. If that doesn't peak your curiosity and make you want to go inside and have a look, then you probably really aren't that interested. (You would have to make the trip all the way around to the south side of the FC to enter, though--the north side across the street from Coal Hill is only an exit.)

Mountain Home...
Level Contributor
259 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forbidden City or Not

I would not miss out on it. There is so much to see not just the architecture but the gardens and walkways, courtyards. I had a guide and we covered every inch and she explaned every building, stone and statue and its purpose. Its a great part of the chinese history and culture. One thing if you realy get into it most of your day will be spent there. Then walk up to Jingshan Park and look over the entire area. Its an awesome view.

www.youtube.com/user/BUZZARDROOST5015/videos…