We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Topic
How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

This question comes up every year. For the benefit of readers planning to come next year during this holiday, here is a report on yesterday's 55-km long traffic jam in Beijing from ring road 4 to the Badaling section of the Great Wall: …163.com/14/0501/13/9R5OGQ060001124J.html…

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

In contrasts, the roads within the city were remarkably clear - at least the ones I was on. However, I was headed west into Mentougou and they soon clogged up on the outskirts and the outer ring roads looked really heavy with traffic as we passed.

We passed Deshengmen on the way just after 8am and the amount of people queuing up there for the Badaling buses was huge (empty coaches lined up waiting on the ring road) - same large crowds evident as we passed Xizhimen at the North Railway Station. I'm glad I wasn't involved in any of that lot. Done it before - never, never again.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

Right, same here in Nanjing. Crossing the bridge was a breeze. We wanted to visit some lavender garden out of town but turned around. It ended being a 2-hour car ride. A lot of people also at shopping malls.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

Ever since China changed May Day to a minor holiday, a long weekend, it is not as bad, far better than the Oct 1 holiday. I think people just go to nearby sites on the outskirts, as the holiday is shorter than Chinese New Year and Oct 1, no time to travel far. In Guangzhou, I noticed more people on shopping streets, but manageable, no change in traffic in the city.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

Actually, a lot of people are leaving the country.too.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
460 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

I Went to the Forbbiden City yesterday... Seems ALL of China went as well! LOTS AND LOTS people. LOTS.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

every parks, scenic spot are full of Chinese tourists, even on kinds of trains, buses, subways. Don't plan your holiday during May day (30th - 4th extension)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

Yes we were there also on May 1st. Advise people not to go on public holidays. Although we got an early start which did help

8. Re: How bad can it get during the May 1 holidays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17