We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time?

NC
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Enough time?

Planning on visiting Beijin and want to see the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. Was planning to leave from Korea and arrive in Beijin around 10am on a Saturday and book 2 nights at a hotel. So I would have 1/2 of Saturday and all of Sunday, then leave around 12-1pm on Monday to Shanghai for 1 night before going to the Philippines.

This doable? Also, any other must see item or experience I should try to squeeze in?

Thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,528 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time?

Beijing usually requires 4-5 days so trying to squeeze tis into one day and a bit will limit you. Understand that the Forbidden city is closed on Monday so you may want to do this when you arrive. For the Wall, you need to arrange transportation.

On Monday you could go to the Temple of Heaven before you leave.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 16:36
NC
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time?

Would have these slots

Saturday noon / evening - Forbidden City

Sunday all day - Great Wall

Would wake up really early on Sunday.

How much time does going to and seeing the Great Wall take?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough time?

Read Top Questions. How long it takes to visit the Great Wall depends on which part you visit and how you travel there - absolute minimum 5 hours round trip.

I'd be more inclined to have a driver meet me at the airport and go straight to Mutianyu Great Wall before dropping me downtown at the hotel early evening and then have all day Sunday in town.

You know you'll need a visa for this trip, right?

Beijing, China
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough time?

It's a brilliant suggestion!!

Beijing, China
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough time?

what Qupnicely said is a brilliant idea!

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough time?

I have booked a day trip including the wall at mutianyu for $30 with this company tourtravelchina.com/beijing-day-tour/mutiany…

being picked up from hotel between 7.20 and 8.30 AM then being dropped off around 6pm although I am being dropped off at a subway station as I also have a flight to Manila in the evening.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough time?

That's a cheap price, Sampag. That itinerary might not suit everyone's tastes, though. In fact, I'd personally say that with the exception of Mutianyu everything else is a waste of time.

Wu J, please control yourself.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enough time?

I agree qupnicely but I have 60 hours and travelling on a budget. The other option for budget travellers is the do it yourself on the 787 bus but that would have left me the problem of what to do with my small bag on wheels.

Getting a taxi straight from the airport makes sense as long as you haven't been on a long journey at the back of the plane.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enough time?

Yes, and everyone thinking about this sort of trip should consider how they are likely to feel when coming off a flight, especially long-haul. The public bus is actually number 867- discussed elsewhere - and from downtown not the airport. Unfortunately, there are no cheap and quick options to Mutianyu.

NC
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Enough time?

I will be coming from Seoul. Hiring a driver from the airport take me straight there sounds like a decent option so long as I can store my luggage in a vehicle or somewhere while I am at the Great Wall.

Is mutianyu the best part of the "wall" to go to? Looking to get a great picture.