We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic purchases from Beijing???

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic purchases from Beijing???

My China tour of Beijing includes many factory tours. I'd like to avoid these "high pressure" places in order to purchase a few authentic momentos of my trip. I hope that I would be able to get some nice things for $50- 100 USD. Any suggestions???

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,008 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

Poor you, I though that these shopping stops were now illegal. Waste of time even if you do not buy.

Visit shops around Houhai or Qianmen for souvenirs of all kinds.

for nicer things try some museum shops or nice shopping malls. not sure that they give you much free time for this.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

Please refer to my comments #7 and #14 in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k582…

Except for the large furniture/household items, nearly all the items on this list on in the price range you specify and even cheaper. Try hard to avoid making purchases at any of the "factory tours" or preorganized shopping stops. Depending how the days of your trip are structured, you may or may not have time to get to shopping venues of your own choice. Maybe skip out on preorganized dinners and go your own way for shopping and meal.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 14:29
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

Thanks for your speedy reply. I knew the tour would include these stops, but the price and time were just right for me.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

WOW. . .so many helpful suggestions. . . I can't wait to go . . . oh yes. . .I AM going to see China also. LOL

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

Thanks for you reply. I'm beginning to think that there will NOT be a lot of free time. I think I'll have to find some free time of my own. . . maybe an upset stomach will give me an afternoon or entire day .

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

Generally you'll have to pay to skip shopping stops, no one is allowed to skip them. Many people actually enjoyed the shopping stops, maybe you need to adjust your attitude to enjoy them, don't just listen to these expat experts, they are not like the majority of tourists, too smart, experienced and often too skeptical. Sometimes it pays to not be too smart.

If you are on DYI tours, you will end up shopping daily anyway, add on the time and cost of getting to shops, plus $150 daily hotels and food, not really cheaper. Buy what you like at prices you think is right, even if some items maybe higher, which is highly debatable. As long as you like the items and will enjoy them, a few dollars more or less really does not matter a few months down the road, not buying maybe the true regrets. Being too smart will not make you richer.

Just enjoy the tours, majority did. Skeptical negative comments are counterproductive.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

Don't forget if you are on DYI, you'll pay $100-$150 a day for hotels, $50 a day for food, taxis, subway, trains, hire private drivers-guides to get to many tour sites such as Great Wall, Sumer Palace, etc. every site costs more, easily hundreds of yuan for each location, these add up to $1,000s of US$ fast. Even just for daily lunch and dinner, it is not easy nor free to get to the restaurants, if you can find good restaurants or find a taxi to get you there. So what if you pay $2, $10, or $50 more for something you really like? or if you spend $1,000s buying stuff, you ended up with the stuff, money spend on hotel, taxi, guide, etc. is just gone, you still come out ahead no matter how you shop until you drop on these tours.

When you shop and bargain on your tour, just remember you are already ahead by $1,000 saved by being on the tour. If you don't buy that silly statue, you may not see it again.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,008 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

According to reports of other travelers, the price difference is not small. Items sold in tour shops were 10 times the price of the same items seen later in regular shops.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

True, those are starting prices in many stores, not unusual for me to buy at 90% off at first round of counter offer, you can too, but most first time tourists doesn't have what it takes to get that in reg shops or on tours. Cheaper prices at cheaper markets are not easy to find or get to unless you know where to go. Money is good when you spend it, otherwise it is just a number in the banks. Just enjoy and buy what you like.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Authentic purchases from Beijing???

Loved your reply ! ! ! I agree with you ! I'm not always in the mood to bargain except I know it's the only way to get a great deal. . .oh well