We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peking Opera and Dinner Show

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Peking Opera and Dinner Show

When visiting Beijing next week my partner and I would like to see the Peking Opera show, I have noticed that you can also include a Duck Dinner and transfers if booked through a private tour company. I know of Ctrip which seeing reviews on TA seems to be a reliable company. I have found others but there prices are comparatively cheaper to Ctrip, which makes me worry about their reliability. Has anyone done this tour through another company and care to share details? :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,313 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peking Opera and Dinner Show

These are two totally unrelated things and I see no reason why they need to be packaged together. Why join a tour to have a decent meal? You can book a restaurant on your own and you know what you are getting into. Unless you are looking for a cheap meal rather than a good meal.

About the Beijing opera, after years of traveling and living in Beijing, I have yet to go there. No many people reported here and enjoyed it. I once asked a friend in Beijing about the best place. She responded that only tourists and old folks go watch it. Her father who was 75 was considered still too young.

If you want a few minutes a it then have a nice dinner at a place like here and get a table in the main dining room: regenttour.com/chinaplanner/…bj-food-bai.htm

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peking Opera and Dinner Show

I have been twice to the Bai court yard restaurant. Very nice environment, but in the performance they did not have Peking opera singing when I was there in the main room.

Also last time (early this year), I noticed that prices did go up considerably there. Never the less, a great place.

There are other diner shows where they have the opera singing as part of the show. At the Daizhamen chain. Hearing it for a few minutes was enough for me :-)

Xian
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peking Opera and Dinner Show

You can visit this website http://www.china-tour.cn/ to see whether you are interested in this tour company. I think their service is professional and thoughtful.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 09:22
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peking Opera and Dinner Show

Agree with J-P, no need to combine dinner and the opera. Easy enough to go to each separately. And personally I would do them on two different nights in case you have to wait for a table at the restaurant. You will be worried about making it to the show on time and rush through your meal.

Also, recommend listening to some Beijing opera on YouTube before you decide that it's a "must do." It's an acquired taste and might not really be to your liking. Of course the costumes can be interesting, but it's best if you like both the visual and the auditory aspects.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from going, just urging that you take time for a "preview."

Edited: 17 July 2014, 09:57
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peking Opera and Dinner Show

Thanks for the advice regarding sampling some on youtube before I go. Sometimes the experiences you have in a country aren't always pleasant but they will always be remembered. I was of the assumption that the Beijing Opera was something very traditional and part of Chinese heritage, so good or bad I thought it should have been a must see, however if it just put on for tourists purposes and has no resemblance to what it used to be then 1. that is a terrible shame and 2. I probably wont bother wasting my money and time.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peking Opera and Dinner Show

>>" I was of the assumption that the Beijing Opera was something very traditional and part of Chinese heritage, so good or bad I thought it should have been a must see..."

Actually, you could make a case for that. I'm pretty much of a culture hound, and did go see it just for that reason.

>>"however if it just put on for tourists purposes and has no resemblance to what it used to be..."

That's not really true. You can still find authentic Chinese opera performances, all over the country. I've been to several that were put on for locals, not for tourists.

If you enjoy things like that, by all means go.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 13:39
7. Re: Peking Opera and Dinner Show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:16