We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

Hi there

I am searching for some shops in Beijing that sell the Miao people's batik textiles - can anyone please give me some ideas?? There seems to be very little information online about sourcing these fabrics in Beijing.

This is an example of the fabric:

…blogspot.sg/2011/03/miao-batik.html

Thank you so much in advance!

Elly

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

Anyone?????? Would so appreciate ideas if anybody has any! Am also interested in minority textiles in general, such as the Miao, Buyi, Li embroideries, and Gejia, Dong batiks etc.

Thank you.

Beijing, China
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

If you wanna buy textiles with Chinese feature, I suggust you go to Xiushui street. It is a famous shopping street for travellers in Beijing. The shop owners there can speak English, and remeber to cut price.

You can also go to Gongmei Dasha in Wangfujing, where you can find all kinds of handicraft works of China.

Good luck!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

The OP will not find what she or he wants at the Silk Market suggested above.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,587 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

You can sometimes find this sort of minority textiles at Panjiayuan Market which is primarily a weekend market, accessible by Line 10 subway + a walk. These are very difficult items to find in Beijing on a regular basis. There's just no substitute for going to the minority areas in person and purchasing at the source. If really interested in the subject and can't get further than Beijing, there is a wonderful but little-known Ethnic Costume Museum at the Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology. It's a little hard to find, and I don't recall that there's any sort of museum shop there.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

Hi - thanks very much for the replies. Yes I'm looking for the minority textiles and handicrafts (Miao, Li, Dong etc.), as opposed to the Han Chinese textiles and handicrafts. I've read that the Panjiayuan Antique Market has some of these minority textiles, but am struggling to find anywhere else.

If anybody has any tips that would be really fantastic.

Thank you!

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

Thanks kvchina, just posted simultaneously!

Yes, I would love to head to Yunnan or Guizhou directly but am not able to on this trip unfortunately. Thanks for the info on the Ethnic Costume Museum, that sounds really interesting - will take a trip there for sure once I have (hopefully!) found my textiles.

Thanks again.

Guiyang, China
Level Contributor
98 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

If you are really interested in the textiles of the minorities and wish to have deep ideas on them, you have to go to these areas by yourself and experience personally. Guizhou province is an area of these minorities and full of traditional costumes which made by villagers themselves. Going to shops or museums are just an general idea. You do need to make one or more trips to visit this area and learn the traditional way of making their costumes from the villagers

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

Hi there - thanks yes I know that, I mentioned it above already. Thanks anyway.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

You are going to find it hard to find the genuine article in Beijing. There are fabric warehouses and markets but they will stock mass produced look alike Guizhou & Yunnan minority textiles, not the real thing.

Panjiayuan Market have some interesting items not found elsewhere. The weekend market ( also called the dirt market) is on the weekend, people coming in with items & "antiques" and selling bits & pieces. The rest of the market is open during the week and is quite large. Hopefully you will get lucky there.

If you are interested in Minority textiles also go see the Cultural Palace of Nationalities Museum. Fabrics and handicrafts from a huge range of Chinese minorities are on display there. Its in Xicheng ( Xidan), central Beijing.

Annie

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miao textiles in Beijing? Please help!

This is the website for the Cultural Nationalities Museum: http://www.cpon.cn/ You will need to google translate.