We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour Guide: Alvin Benton

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
tour Guide: Alvin Benton

My wife and I recently visited Beijing for the first time ever for 3 days and reached out to Alvin to use him as our guide. This was one of the best decisions that we made on this trip. He was very responsive to our initial inquiries, gave us great counsel on how to get to our hotel and arranged for a car to pick us up from the airport. Alvin had a great schedule mapped out for us and we enjoyed his knowledge, commentary and tit-bits about Chinese history and events. More than his knowledge was his concern for our well being and pointing out ways where we could be more cost effective in our purchases. He has incredible energy and integrity....would not let us pay for his meals or drinks!!

I would gladly recommend Alvin for all those who need a guide/driver in Beijing, and would use him again if the need arose.

Thank you for all that you did, Alvin! The trip to the great wall was just GREAT:)

20 replies to this topic
Guilin, China
Level Contributor
108 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

Perhaps you should post this on the guide's personal TA page.

Sidoarjo, Jawa...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

I also just got back from China. 3 days in Beijing also relies Alvin as our guide. Alvin arrange pick up at the airport, and as we arrived at the hotel around 02:00 pm, Alvin arranged for us to be able to take advantage of the afternoon to visit the Forbidden City.

Alvin knowledge of the history of China and especially Beijing is very good, and he is very keen to explain almost everything. I really like Alvin is that he often gave the question "do not know why this way or that way?" Such as why the streets in Beijing are all rectangular? Why Temple of Heaven round?

Although Alvin is still using a cane but he accompanied me to walk on the Great Wall of China tower 14 to tower 18, and giving private time for me to walk any further, as he's back to my mother in the tower 16.

One time in the car in the middle of Beijing, my mom needs to go to the restroom, and Alvin immediately find the nearest toilet that can be obtained. But Alvin did not want to find a public restroom. Finally we stopped at a five-star hotel.

Alvin is very attentive to our needs during our walk. Asking the kind of food we want and find a restaurant to suit our desires.

For those who are going to Beijing and need a private guide, Alvin is one that you can rely on when in a foreign country.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 19:03
Highlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

Just got back from China and we too had Alvin as our tour guide in Beijing for three days. He was the best! We still rave about him how kind, knowledgeable , willing and just plain nice he was. He did everything for us, wherever there was a need, he took care of it from morning to night. We highly recommend him, count yourself lucky if he will end up as your guide.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

Can u leave me with his contact purlessszz !

Highlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

Alvin's phone number is: 343-993-3529 and his email: alvinbenton@yahoo.com

If you do use him, please tell him that Ursula recommended him. Enjoy your stay in Beijing. Make sure he takes you by his favorite dumpling Restaurant.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

I had arranged with Alvin for 3 days as tour guide for my daughter`s first visit to Beijing. He corresponded with me and arranged an amazing itinerary. My daughter was very pleased with him and she said he was excellent guide. She spotted a shoe shop and he also helped to negotiate the prices, he also gave me up to date report as I was bit worried as my daughter travelled alone in Beijing. I would use him when I visit Beijing again.

Edited: 04 December 2014, 15:29
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

I have contacted Alvin and will be using his services 2 weeks from now. I'll let you guys know how it goes, I believe it will be a great trip just judging by how he writes he emails.

Munich, Germany
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

Hello all,

Could you please share Alvin's service charge?

Is it included the tour guide and the car itself?

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

I just used Alvin Jiang's services on 2 days last week. It is better you discuss and negotiate his charges directly, too many variables, but you can trust that he is one honest bloke whose charges will not differ from one person to another.

I was very happy with his services, you can sense he is genuinely wanting to show you as much as he can, rather than just hoping the day will be over soon. He was not sensitive to working overtime at all. I was the last person out of the Forbidden City before it closed, and one of the last person out of the Mutianyu Great Wall, he truly made an effort to cover all grounds. Hardworking guide, don't want to miss any detail, in fact I have to ask to cut back on some visits because I was the one being tired. He drove very well when we were out to the great wall, arrived in a Hyundai Sonata, not the most glamorous, but extremely clean and well maintained, thats more important. I've sat in VWs that rode worst. I had an unfortunate incident of leaving my mobile phone in a cab the day before, but thanks to his kindness, he drove me all the way to a village where the driver lived on my way to the Great Wall. I also asked him to purchase 2 tickets to watch a concert, and he didn't even ask me to leave a deposit, he was willing to take my credit risk ! Will not hesitate to recommend him to anyone !!

Honesty & Integrity : 5/5

Sincerity : 5/5

Knowledge of attractions : 5/5

English Command : 4.5/5 (good english, not native speaker obviously, but totally understandable)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tour Guide: Alvin Benton

and he is on iMessage, great if you want to have a chat with him.

Edited: 24 December 2014, 18:01
Reply to: tour Guide: Alvin Benton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted