We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Beijing

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
1st time to Beijing

Hi,

I am planning to go to Beijing from 27 Sep - 2 Oct 2014. Before I book the air ticket, I would like to ask some questions to the experts:

1. Is it safe for a lady to travel alone F&E? Coz I read a lot of scam in Beijing especially in tourist areas..

2. is it possible to arrange myself using train or public transportation to tourists attractions if I can't speak and read chinese?

3. Is there any direct train from Beijing to Hong Kong? I prefer to take bullet train. After reading some information, just know that if I take bullet train only till Guangzhou. Or better take flight to Hkg?

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,685 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Beijing

1- Sure it is safe. There are scams all over the world where there is a high concentration of tourists. Just be aware of what they are.

2- The subway system is bilingual. You can check videos on YouTube.

3- Yes, there is an overnight train but it is nearly impossible o get tickets. Alternatively, there is a bullet train to Shenzhen which is right across the border from HK. Note that on October is the start of the National holidays in China. There will be tons of people everywhere and transportation to and from Beijing will be extremely difficult.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Beijing

Do not worry , China is a safe country .

Beijing, China
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Beijing

1.you can travel alone cause most areas are orderly and safe,but without Chinese friends or guides,you can only visit some commercialized attractions.maybe you can't experience authentic culture and native characristics ,thus missing the real fun.

2.In China, especially in some tour cities,a lot of people can speak English.you can feel rest assured to take train . But taking bus is a little hard.

3.if you want to go to HK from Beijing,i advise you to take plane from Beijing to Shenzhen, Shenzhen is the nearest city to HK.You'd better order a flight ticket before1 to 2 moths, (order now about 600 CYN without tax fee or construction fee)cause the ticket is much more expensive with approaching time.You can also take high speed railway,with the second-level seat,about 946 CYN,about 8 hours.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
40 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Beijing

I have been to Beijing several times. Single 40+ year old American woman. Very safe, no worries there.

I personally found some challenges with the language. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, just sometimes finding someone that speaks English isn't so easy! My Chinese is limited to Hello and Thank You :-).

The subway system, while it states bilingual, was a bit daunting to me. I stuck to taxis, which were hard enough. Helps to have your destination written down in Chinese and be able to show it for assistance. A good hotel will do that for you.

As above advice, just use the same precautions you would use anywhere when traveling.

I've now been 4 times to Beijing and never experienced any issues.

Enjoy!

5. Re: 1st time to Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:15