We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more detailed questions...

Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
more detailed questions...

Hi...

I have questions:

1. In other topic, someone asked about the absence of street vendor for fake purses. I am not looking for fake stuff...but I enjoy buying souvenirs from street vendors. I remember watching youtube that showed a lot of street vendors near wangfujing alley. But I can't find the exact street/alley. Can you tell me where exactly are those alley (in front of which building...or better yet gps coordinate to look for in google map)

2. In other thread, someone ask about foot massage...then it was suggested that the area was not safe. I plan to stroll thru that exact street (going from regent hotel to sijiminfu restaurant). Can someone elaborate...how unsafe that exact street is? I plan to go there around afternoon...

Thank you...

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more detailed questions...

1. Street vending is banned out in Beijing. No illigal vendor will stay at the same place, so asking for a location is of no use. If you run into a souvenir selling street vendor near tourist places, there is a pretty big change they will try to rip you off with the exchange money. One word of advice: ignore every street vendor in that area.

2. The area is safe. No problem with that. As long as you stay away from anyone approaching you with whatever story. It is one of the top scam areas in Beijing.

Parallel to Wangfujing street there is a sort of hutong area with souvenirs and snack food. Entrance is at Wangfujing street. Have a look there. Bargain hard and watch your belongings (can be very crowded).

Mentioned in this post
Wangfujing Street
Wangfujing Street
3,173 Reviews
Beijing, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,761 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more detailed questions...

1- One more time, no such thing as street vendors in Beijing. Maybe you can show us the youtube video. Never seen street vendors in my 10 years in Beijing.

2- For sure it's safe, even at 3am.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more detailed questions...

Well JP, go in the evening in a weekend to the Chongwenmen area and you will find them all over :-)

Also on some of the pedestrian bridges over big streets you will find them. At yashu market for instance.

And illegal sales people you find always in the Wangfujing area and near silk street. They just pop-up and disappear quickly. Temple of Heaven park in the weekends has plenty of elderly ladies selling hand made things, trying to avoid the guards.

So if you haven't seen them in 10 years, better to buy new glasses :-)

Mentioned in this post
Temple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven
10,178 Reviews
Beijing, China
Chongwenmen Hotel
Chongwenmen Hotel
281 Reviews
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: more detailed questions...

Hi Bepu and JP....

This is one of few youtube videos that I saw:Wangfujing Street Market Beijing China: http://youtu.be/i7MuD0X7HpY

I know this video is from a long time ago. But since the snack street is still there, maybe the souvenir alley is too.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 00:36
Mentioned in this post
Wangfujing Street
Wangfujing Street
3,173 Reviews
Beijing, China
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: more detailed questions...

This is the street I mentioned in my first post. The entrance is at Wangfujing street it self. At the left side if you walk in north direction. About 100m from where the pedestrian area starts.

There was a misunderstanding about what you call street vending. These are just little shops.

Mentioned in this post
Wangfujing Street
Wangfujing Street
3,173 Reviews
Beijing, China
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,291 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more detailed questions...

Those shops and street vendors are always there, at the first intersection on WFJ from the main road, behind Beijing Hotel.

At the other end of WFJ, just blocks away is a might open air food market with 1-2 blocks long of food stalls.

There is also a very busy street similar to this market called Rowguhsiang, not the right spelling, much bigger with interesting small shops and restaurants, some small stalls, near Beihai area, north of the Imperial Palace. We had a lot of fun there. Local experts have the right name, worth a trip.

All safe any hours.

Mentioned in this post
Beijing Hotel
Beijing Hotel
1,199 Reviews
Beijing, China
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,291 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: more detailed questions...

Nanluoguxiang is the correct name for this busy shopping and food street.

Mentioned in this post
Nanluoguxiang
Nanluoguxiang
1,138 Reviews
Beijing, China
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: more detailed questions...

Hi,

You use the term street vendors - which means people who sell from a blanket or table on the sidewalk. Or do you mean little shops?

That area of Wangfujing is not so much street vendors (pop ups), its just small shops. Wangfujing snack Street and Donghuamen night market is more about eating, not street vendors that pop up.

Nanluoguxiang is a wonderful hutong street. No street vendors but plenty of quirky little shops and some small restaurants & bars. Its best visited well after 10am ( as a lot of the shops wont be open) and its better to go in the evening as it has a great atmosphere.

Nanluoguxiang runs south to north and if you go to the northern end and turn left in Gulou Dongdajie you can find a very, very small smattering of night time street vendors there. As Bepu & JP mentions its illegal so they may or may not be there.

Also a lot of the street vendors that do pop up within Beijing have stuff that you can find elsewhere and are not very interesting.

2) Re Foot massage, do you mean this thread ? tripadvisor.com.au/…60276670

That area is very safe. Just dont go with someone that approaches you on the street. Stick with the reputable massage places.

Annie

Mentioned in this post
Nanluoguxiang
Nanluoguxiang
1,138 Reviews
Beijing, China
Donghuamen Night Market
Donghuamen Night Market
239 Reviews
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: more detailed questions...

hallo...

bepu and macbcmini: so this street is about 100m from south end of wangfujing street, behind Beijing Hotel. Noted. Always thought this street was on the east side of Wangfujing. Now I know.

Annie: I thought those souvenir sellers in the video were using "carts", which could be pushed away at the end of the day. Therefore I assumed they were called street vendors. Anyway....I am sorry for misunderstanding.

For foot massage, I will try Liangzi as suggested.

Thank you all for your time and explanations.

yongki

Mentioned in this post
Beijing Hotel
Beijing Hotel
1,199 Reviews
Beijing, China
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more detailed questions...

Hi Yongki

No worries & you don't need to apologize :-) Yes some of them do have carts.