We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight transfer (seoul -> beijing -> nyc) only 2.5hr in bj??

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
flight transfer (seoul -> beijing -> nyc) only 2.5hr in bj??

So I have an air china flight that's from seoul to nyc but there's a layover/flight transfer/whatever in beijing. However, there's only 2 hours and 20 minutes in beijing. Is that enough time? I've never had to do layovers before nor have I ever been to the beijing airport. I'm a college student studying abroad and traveling myself. I bought my ticket like this directly from air china...so air china should know if it's enough time or not to put the tickets out like this, right?

Thanks!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight transfer (seoul -> beijing -> nyc) only 2.5hr in bj??

You have enough time. Airlines will not sell you the ticket if there is not enough time. I am a frequent business travelers doing transits constantly, many of them are just one hour or 1.5 hours, and I have transited thru PEK.

As for possible flight delays, that is not in anyone's control anyway.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight transfer (seoul -> beijing -> nyc) only 2.5hr in bj??

If you have enough time for transit, depends highly on the chances of delays in the first leg. Most of the time 2 hours is a big enough gap for transfers at major airports between international flights. That leaves some room for delays. So almost 2,5 hours will be enough.

Do check if both flights are from the same terminal. The terminals are airline based and not destination based. If both flights are Air China, that will be the case. If it is not the same terminal, check if you need to collect luggage or not. There is a frequent bus shuttle service between the terminals.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight transfer (seoul -> beijing -> nyc) only 2.5hr in bj??

If it's all Air China, you'll be doing international transit in Terminal 3 and you will have plenty of time. Your checked bags will be tagged all the way to JFK so you won't be dealing with them in Beijing Airport. When you deplane, you'll go through the "International Transfer/Transit" desk at Immigration, which is sort of by itself and signed. They'll want to look at passport and boarding passes before sending you down the hall to a security checkpoint and back airside where you can go find your boarding gate. You should be issued boarding passes for both flight segments in Seoul. Minimum legal connection time for this is 60 minutes though I find 90 minutes less nerve-wracking....and you have an extra hour time cushion on top of that. You should be OK.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight transfer (seoul -> beijing -> nyc) only 2.5hr in bj??

Above also applies if you are on an Air China codeshare operated by Asiana Airlines ICN-PEK. All Star Alliance goes in/out of PEK Terminal 3.

5. Re: flight transfer (seoul -> beijing -> nyc) only 2.5hr in bj??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:17