We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in October

Manila, Manila...
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in October

Hey guys! I'm going to Bejing on Oct 17-20. I think that's like a week after the national week? (correct me if i'm wrong). Would like to ask if you have any idea if there will be as much people during that time? I have also been reading different points of view on the weather. Any other thoughts? Thanks

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in October

There are always lots of people in China :-)

But the holiday season is over. So a good period to visit.

Different opinions on the weather means that is is unpredictable. When it is sunny it is very nice. I have walked on the GW in t-shirt and shorts in that period. Evenings can get bit more chilly.

But it can also be windy and colder. I once had to buy a jacket there, because I thought I would not need one. So bring stuff you can layer and you will be fine.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,936 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in October

You will be fine at that time. The weather starts to get colder.

Manila, Manila...
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in October

I love cold weather so i guess maybe just bring clothes that i can layer? A light cardigan or a blazer perhaps? Also can anyone recommend the best peking duck restaurant in beijing? Planning to do a birthday dinner there. Maybe a place that doesn't have a rushed service

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,936 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in October

Dadong is considered the best place for Beijing Duck.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in October

Yes, layering clothes at that time of year is best. Its a nice time of year to visit Beijing.

Da Dong is excellent and there are several branches. This is my review for the Dongdan / Jinbao branch - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g294212-d… Its always popular & busy, reserve a table.

SiJiMinFu also has great duck - http://www.sjmfky.com/ You might have to google translate the website or there should be reviews on Trip Advisor. The decor isn't quite as nice as Da Dong but the duck is good.

Xian
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting in October

Hi,

The China National Day is from Oct 1st to Oct 7th. It is clever to avoid the golden week in China.

You can refer to the itinerary below:

Oct 17th : Beijing Arrival

Oct 18th : Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Summer Palace and Hutong Tour.

Oct 19th : Great Wall, Ming Tombs

Oct 20th : Departure

And the weather then is very cool and comfortable.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Manila, Manila...
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting in October

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is mg planned itinerary

Oct 17: arrive in beijing. Quick look at the tiananmen and forbidden city at night then do the wangfujing night market

Oct 18: mutianyu and summer palace

Oct 19: forbidden palace, jingshan park and temple of dawn, olympic village

My return flight is at 8pm. Do you have suggestions on what else to do in the morning?

Xian
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting in October

You can have a free walk in Beijing Hutong to enjoy the local life style and buy some interesting souvenir there. Maybe you will find some special and tasty snacks there as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting in October

Oct 18 - Mutianyu & Summer Palace on the one day will be a lot of walking. If you are taking a taxi or have a driver you can stop & see the Olympic buildings (all lit up at night) on your way back to your hotel.

Oct 19 - The Forbidden City and Jingshan Park will only take up 1/2 a day. You can include some where else close by like Beihai Park & Hou Hai Lake area.

Or the Drum / Bell Towers ( they should just be re-opening by the time you visit ( check) and Nanluoguxiang ( a fun shopping / exploring Hutong area).

I have never heard of a Temple of Dawn - do you mean the Temple of Heaven ?

If you mean the Temple of Heaven go in the morning on your last day ( The park that surrounds the Temple of Heaven buildings is more active then).

Oct 20 - Temple Of Heaven & also The Lama Temple is another option.

Add in either the Hou Hai Lake area or Nanlouguxiang if you didnt manage to visit them on Oct 19. Hou Hai & Nanluoguxiang are really good in the evening, with bars, restaurants & atmosphere.

Annie

Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting in October

Hi Dumont,

we have the exact same date, I am arriving there on 17 Oct too.

I have done a lot of research on what to do there. After checking your itinerary, I found:

1. forbidden city is huge and closed in the evening. not sure what do you mean by quick look.

check out the lowering flag ceremony at the tiananmen square at 17:33

2. too rush, mutianyu is far from beijing. will take 1 day of your time unless you just want to have another "quick look". summer palace is huge too.

consider houhai, nanluoguxiang in your itinerary.