We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival day plans

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Arrival day plans

We will be arriving at our Tienanmen Square area hotel in the early Friday afternoon after a very long flight and would appreciate thoughts on how to best spending the balance of the daylight hours. I think that a visit to the Temple of Heaven may be a good option as the other sites we wish to see are all in another part of the city. I expect the property requires at least two to three hours to tour. Does this make practical sense or would you recommend another site/activity?

Mentioned in this post
Temple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven
10,331 Reviews
Beijing, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival day plans

Temple of Heaven is best seen in the first part of the morning. Also, it's not all that close. Yes, it takes 2-3 hours but I'd move it elsewhere. I think there are a number of get-acquainted walks that you could do instead that wouldn't put you in Friday afternoon rush hour traffic yet would allow you to see something, Depending on hotel location, I'd say Jingshan and Beihai Park areas, or Qianmen/Dazhalan/Liulichang area, or Legation Quarter/Tiananmen/Zhongshan Park areas. If east of Wangfujing could also consider Zhihua Temple, Dongsi hutongs, Ancient Observatory walk. Best way to beat jet lag/fatigue is to try to keep comfortably active the rest of the day, have a decent dinner and turn in early to get on Beijing time. What is your hotel?

Edited: 10 August 2014, 22:52
Mentioned in this post
Temple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven
10,331 Reviews
Beijing, China
Zhongshan Park
Zhongshan Park
303 Reviews
Beijing, China
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival day plans

I agree with the above. Go for an easy walk around program.

After a long flight, you first want to freshen up in the hotel. Then I would go for one of the suggestions above. And have a nice dinner at the end of the day. Try go get in to the local time rithm.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival day plans

The Temple of Heaven is best done in the morning 1st thing. As well as the TofH buildings there is a large park that surrounds the buildings & the park is most active in the morning- People out exercising, exercise classes with different styles, dancing etc. The park is the draw card as well as the buildings.

If you are in the Tiananmen square area Qianmen / Dazhalan / Liulichang is close by. These 3 are all interconnected and make an interesting walk & exploring option. Depends where you are staying whether to start in Liulichang or Qianmen. Liulichang is a street of antique & art supply shops and local residences. This leads to Dazhalan ( Dashilar) which is a hutong residential area & a mix of old style shops, that street then meets up with Qianmen. Qianmen is a restored pedestrian street with little shops. Allow 2 - 3 hours, depends how many stops you make along the way. There are also restaurants along Qianmen so you might want to get an early dinner before heading back to your hotel ( it will save you have to go back out again later).

There are number of different walks you could do close to Tiananmen.

Mentioned in this post
Temple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven
10,331 Reviews
Beijing, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,053 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival day plans

Agree with #1 above. You can just walk around randomly and get a feel for the place.

5. Re: Arrival day plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17