We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Osan, South Korea
Level Contributor
137 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

Hi,

I would like to buy Jade when I am in China. I read in the forum that most Jade sold over there are fake and told not to buy Jade if I am not an expert. I came across this chain store in TA. http://www.chowtaifook.com

1) Is this store reputable? Any other similar store?

2) Which brand is nearest to my hotel (Beijing Intl Hotel), close to Jianguomen and dongdan subway station?

3) Is the price bargain-able or fixed?

4) Also, I'm interested to buy Chinese herbal like Chrysanthemum flower tea(not tea bags),tongui, etc can I just get it in any Chinese herbal shop in China?

Cheers

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

This is a reputable chain.

when a jade item is cheap, for sure it is fake. I have seen simple jade bracelet in a reputable store and they were 30 to 40,000RMB. Real and quality jade is expensive.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

Sorry to disagree, but IMHO, most jades are real, 10-20 yuan jade pieces too. Jade by itself is mass produced in 1,000s of small factories, it is not a precious stone, except the few which professionals know as such, which tend to be very ugly to our untrained eyes.

You buy what you like at prices you can afford to throw away, don't worry about what others say or think. On Beijing WFJ shopping street, you'll see 10,000 jade bracelets piled up high for 20 yuan each. If you see some you love, just buy them, as you will not see them again, just buy them for fun, don't worry about 10-20-30 yuan, or even 100-200 yuan, about 15,000-30,000 won, which is really nothing; because if you don't buy, you may regret it once you get home. Money is only good when you spend it.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

Sorry Mac but you obviously don't know jade. You are talking about glass, not jade. Jade is not produced, it is mined.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

nytimes.com/2010/…

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

Have to disagree with macbcmini here and many "jade" are fake. Real good quality jade is not cheap and its price increases this year if I remember correctly. It is ok to buy those fake jade for fun. I also have a few. I just don't wear them: I don't know how they colour the stone and I don't know whether the chemical they use is harmful or not. But that just me.

Chow Tai Fook is a big brand. You don't bargain.

What's tongui? No Chinese words sound like that. No need to go to herbal shop to buy chrysanthemum tea. Many supermarkets have that.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

當歸茶당귀차 but it is not the same 當歸 in Chinese medicine.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

I actually knew, met and talked to people who mass produce jade pieces, mass produced by the tons, basic real jade stone material is cheap. I don't know jade and have no appreciation for jade.

For jewelry, 90% all hot air, even for those who pretend to know. You can read all you want, you need to be in the supply chain to understand the mathematics.

Buy them for fun, the moment you paid for it, it lost 90% value. Unless you can find another fool to buy it from you, which is not hard if jade is your trade.

Osan, South Korea
Level Contributor
137 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

I don't know what it's pronounced or written. Maybe tangui. It is white color and looks like wood for cooking, not drinking. My mum always cook it with chicken soup. Chinese herbal is expensive here in south korea even chrysanthemum tea.

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

ok, if you mean the word mentioned by bibimbob, yes you can find 當歸 danggui in any herbal shop.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reputable Jade store and chinese herbal

again, Chinese 當歸 and Korean 當歸 (朝鲜当归) are different. I hope you know which one you are going to get.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelica_sinensis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelica_gigas