We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

Hi,

Me and my friend are two italian girls and we will be in Beijing in the 28 of August.

We wish to hike the Simatai section of the Great Wall, as we heard that it's very beautiful and there aren't so many tourists.

How can we get from Beijing to Simatai in the morning (early morning would be even better) with public transportation? How long is the trip?

Also, it is possible to hike both the east and the west sections in terms of time (how long is the trip?) and connections between the two parts?

Will we also have time to a look at the Water Town in a day? We can't speak Chinese and we heard that the only way not to need reservation in advance is to buy combo ticket for both the wall and the town.

I will be very grateful if anyone could help us.

Thank you!

Giulia

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

I have no idea about public transport, but by car it is already a 2 hour drive.

I know there are some organized trips to Simatai and the Gubei water town in one day. Maybe you should search the internet for that. I guess doing it on your self with public transport and not speaking Chinese will be a pretty tough job.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

Hi,

Public transport: Bus No.980 from Dongzhimen Transportation Hub and get off the stop of Miyun West Bridge Station (near the Drum Tower), then connect to the local bus - either bus No.51 or 38 to Simatai Village. Then walk to Gubei Water Town.

Taking public transport will take a lot longer, and more difficult if you dont speak Chinese.

Hiring a car & driver for the day will be quicker and allow you to see both Simatai Great Wall and Gubei Water town.

Gubei water town covers a huge area ( its really the joining together of the villages at the foot of Simatai). The best idea is to stay overnight there. It's concept is a 2 day stay ( overnight) if you want to see both places. Or a very long day trip if you want to get there early & squeeze in both places.

i suggest if you hire a car & driver leave Beijing early so you arrive in time for when the wall opens at 9am. That way you will be able to see both places.

Only the eastern part from No. 1 Tower to No. 10 Tower is open at the moment. If you do the whole of that section allow for about 3 hours walking.

Thats right, if you are buying tickets for both Simatai & Gubei Water town you dont have to book ( reserve) your Simatai tickets in advance. The tickets prices are lower at the moment during its trial opening.

Annie

Edited: 23 August 2014, 02:16
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

Thank you!!!

So do you know how much it would cost to rent a car and a driver for the way to Simatai? and where can we find it in Beijing?

Do you also know if we can make it to catch the buses for the way back or to find another car? we're trying to save money and I think it would be way too expensive to ask the driver to wait for the whole day...

Do you also know where to get the combo tickets in Beijing?

Thank you very much

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

I am not sure what time the last bus leaves. As mentioned it is going to take you a long time to get there & back by public bus. A car takes 2 - 2 1/2 hours, the bus will take much longer.

When hiring a car & driver it is generally for the day and the driver is used to waiting. It would be approx RMB 800-900 for a car & driver for the whole day to Simatai & back to Beijing.

Let me know if you want the email address for the driver I use. Or look on : tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g294212-Activ… There are driver recommendations.

If you want both the Simatai Wall and Gubei Water Town tickets ( combo) you dont have to reserve / pre buy. You buy the tickets when you arrive. A combo ticket is RMB110 ( trial opening price).

If you are only going to Simatai Great Wall you have to reserve / prebuy tickets. RMB Y40 ( trial opening price). Add RMB120 for the return cable car ride. Get your hotel to help you with this 1 to 2 days before: www.wtown.com ( The website is in Chinese only at the moment). Once you register they will send a code to a nominated mobile phone. The mobile phone needs to have a Chinese SIM card. Because the pre buying of tickets is not English friendly at the moment, this is why you will need your hotels help.

If you are visiting the Simatai Great Wall only you will be taken up there as part of a large group at a set time, either 10am or 2pm. If you have both the Gubei Town ticket and the Simatai ticket ( Combo) you can visit Simatai at any time during its opening hours.

Its much easier just to buy the Combo ticket for both Simatai & Gubei town when you arrive, to save all the hassle of pre buying and it allows you to see Simatai at the time you want ( between 9am - 6pm in summer).

Annie

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

For anyone else reading this, please note: The section of the wall where Simatai meets Jinshanling is still closed. You still cant hike from Jinshaling and exit at Simatai.

You either have to chose Simatai or Jinshanling sections of the wall.

As Simatai & Gubei Water town are still in their trial opening period the above information regarding Simatai will probably change. The restoration for the different sections of Simatai are still undergoing work and the other areas of Simatai ( western direction & towers) will eventually be re-opened.

6. Re: Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 20:08
7. Re: Beijing to Simatai and Simatai trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:15