We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Look and Feel of "New" China

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
General Look and Feel of "New" China

Hello - This might seem like a strange question, but I am trying to figure out if I want to go to China. I lived in Taiwan for a short time in the late 1960's and just loved it.

I love the old, historical China - from pictures, the "new" China looks very gray and industrial.

Is the old China with red lanterns and beautiful art and culture still intact, or has it been wiped out by the government dictates of the last decades?

I really don't want to tour modern, gray highrises.

Do the interesting marketplaces still exist or is everything corporate malls?

Thank you

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

China is a huge country with 1.4 billion people. There is no general statement that applies to all. Sure you can still find the so-called "old" China, which existed maybe a century ago. But there are still lots of old villages and outdoor scenery.

BTW the high rises are no longer gray.

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

Nowhere in my post did I dispute the size of China or its population.

I was asking about "look and feel" . . . obviously, it has changed per the cultural revolution. I know that much of public and personal art was destroyed, along with traditions and ancient beliefs. I am just wondering about the general grayness and conformity the communist influence has had and if there are pockets of color and individualism and tradition or if all of that has been destroyed.

It's the same kind of question I would have about visiting ugly strip malls in the United States. It wouldn't be worth the time and effort and would be quite depressing.

This Wiki link gives a good recap of what happened . . . I am still wondering what it looks like and feels like.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

Where did I say anything about "dispute"? I was just pointing out that there is no general statement about China as it's a huge diverse country like the US, even more so. Just like you can't generalize about strip malls in the US. The Cultural Revolution was several decades ago. Things change rapidly in China. There are mega cities with high rises (as I said, not grey anymore. Some are ugly, some are very nice.). Within these mega cities there are little alleys and lanes which harken back to old China. Then there are small towns and villages.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,698 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

Cultural revolution, wow. That was 50 years ago. Nobody talks about this anymore. Sounds to me that you need to visit China to erase these totally biased views. Here is for the grey buildings:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/53035116

stay.com/shanghai/…

And art? When in Beijing, visit the 798 art district. …visitbeijing.com.cn/shopping/stores/n214818…

Cities like Beijing, Shanghai and some others are more modern than many places in the US. If you are looking for barefoot Chinese wearing the green uniform, you'll be disappointed as they shop at Zara and H&M.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

Is California just the Hollywood sign, Disneyland and buildings? Any mountains left, no more rolling hills? Redwood trees?

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

I don't know if any of you read the Wiki article on the Cultural Revolution, but it discusses what was destroyed and the current atmosphere, which is still very heavily regulated and censored.

I am a Feng Shui consultant and the "Four Olds" that were destroyed, were of particular interest to me.

The practice of Feng Shui is apparently still prohibited, and considered superstitious.

I would probably be better off going back to Taiwan.

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

The history of China is of great interest to me, and evidently most of it was destroyed during that 10 year period.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

A Feng Shiu consultant who has never been to China? His extremely limited knowledge of China came from reading online site about 40 years old info? And he thinks he knows more than people who have visited 30 times or living in China.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 23:34
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,698 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

Feng Shui prohibited in China? Not at all. Most Chinese i know care about it and plenty of experts about it in China. Reminds me in last when I was visiting the penthouse apartment of a wealthy Chinese in Nanjing last May. And he was explaining why he put a life size sculpture of a horse facing a scyscraper nearby due to the bad Feng Shui.

It reminds me how amazed I was reading the western press when I was living in China. Instead of reading stuff on the web, do some serious research and go over. You are in for a shock.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General Look and Feel of "New" China

Don't you think you owe it to yourself to take a fast look of the real China? You lived in Taiwan once 50 years ago, that is like lived in Hawaii 50 years ago, Taiwan is just one xerox copy of one page of China. You haven't read the other 999 pages yet.