We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temple of Heaven or Summer Palace

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Bergen, NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Temple of Heaven or Summer Palace

Due to Our limited time in Beijing, we can only visit either the Temple of Heaven or the Summer Palace first thing in the morning, before the bus loads of tourists arrive. I'm looking for some advice as to which one would be beneficial to see at 630am, fairly quiet and peaceful. It seems to me that the Summer Palace may have areas of peace and quiet regardless of time, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your help!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temple of Heaven or Summer Palace

I don't think the summer palace opens until 8.30am so if the temple of heaven is open earlier that would be your best option. Also you need a half day for the summer palace whereas you won't need that long for the Temple of Heaven.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temple of Heaven or Summer Palace

The summer palace is a pretty large complex, much larger than the temple of heaven. I looked up opening times and the summer palace opens at 7 and the temple of heaven at 6 which makes that more viable for early morning. Your hotel should have the times if you want to make sure. The summer palace is set on a lake and is really beautiful so if you can afford that slightly later time then go for that one. You can also take a boat on the lake but I dont know if they do this early in the morning. I was there at dusk and it was lovely. If you are looking for something a bit crazy very early in the morning then check out the flat raising in tianemen square. Its actually rather poignant but the chinese love it so its not a peaceful option, just an idea.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,859 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temple of Heaven or Summer Palace

The Temple of Heaven is more convenient to get to. In my opinion it is also more interesting. It is not just about the temple but also the people watching. A tons of retirees go there in early morning to meet friends, play games, sing, dance, etc....Quite interesting.

In summer months, the Summer Palace opens at 6h30 while the park portion of the Temple of Heaven opens at 6h00 and the temples at 8h00.

North Bergen, NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temple of Heaven or Summer Palace

Thank you so much to all for this valuable information - quite helpful and very much appreciated!!

5. Re: Temple of Heaven or Summer Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:15