We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
297 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

Hi

May I know after exiting from Forbidden City (suppose to be the northern gate, when exit), where is the next place to visit, which is easily accessible from this gate?

I know Nanluoguxiang is somewhere near this exit and wondering if it is possible to walk over from the gate? What is the nearest metro station to the exit of Forbidden City?

What about Beihai Park, walking distance from Forbidden City's exit?

Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,992 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

Jingshan is just across the street.

I think that you need to get a map of Beijing or study the one on Google maps.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,908 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

Well, where do you want to go? It's not like there are any requirements. Jingshan Park is directly across the street. Beihai Park south entrance is across the street and 5 minutes' walk west. Nanluoguxiang is 20-25 minutes' walk to the northeast. Probably NLGX is closest metro station also, maybe equidistant from FC north as Dongsi which is same walk or longer due east. There are also a multitude of public buses that stop behind the FC, which sometimes takes you more directly to where you want to go than the subway.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,374 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

One glance at the map, you have your answers, except you maybe very tired by the time you finished the Palace and exited north gate.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

You may choose either the Jinshan Park or Beihai Park. Walking through the Beihai Park to the north exit, you can further walk through some hutongs or by the lake to central Houhai Lake area.

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
297 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

Thanks guys for the advise. I did google maps and such and found that Nanluoguxiang and Beihai Park seems to be the nearest places from the North Gate of Forbidden City. But knowing that Beijing is HUGE, I would like to understand better and decide where I want to plan to go next after Forbidden City.

Nanluoguxiang and Beihai Park are places that I plan to visit. But I am trying to get some ideas which one is easier for me to go to after Forbidden City and plan it that way

I think I got some answers! Thank you guys for the help!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,374 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

In our case, 2 weeks ago, when we finished the Palace and exited North Gate, the priority was food, sit down and eat something, taxi was out of question, buses were also too challenging, so we walked all the way back to WFJ shopping malls and ate there. We saved the Lakes and Nanluoguxiang for next evening, had a pleasant electric boat ride on the lake, beats walking.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

In my opinion, no one should miss the view from the top of the hill in Jingshan Park. You can easily walk across to Beihai afterwards.

8. Re: Forbidden City Northern Gate - where to go next?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 05:17