We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

Hi,

My family and I (2 adults, 3 kids aged 11, 8 and 6) are planning a 4 night stopover on Hong Kong at the end of August.

We will be staying at the YMCA - can anyone recommend any good dim sum places near there, not too expensive and suitable for kids who have never tried it, though they love chinese food!

Any other family friendly restaurants recommended around the area?

Many thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

Ho Choi Restaurant is about a 10 minute walk heading east at the Empire Centre along the harbour front, just two buildings past the Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel. Dim Sum quality is quite good for the price in my opinion. The cost is around HK$50-$70 per head. The best time to go is weekdays around noon, before the office workders swarm the place. You will get better service and find it less noisey. Avoid Sundays lunch as it will be packed. In case you don't know, dim sum is a lunch food and is not available for dinner in all Hong Kong restaurants.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
92 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

Sammyfloyd,

Any good one at the Star House which is next door?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

Star House has a Jade Garden which is run by Maxim's Group. I have not been there for years but it should be worth a try.

British-born...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

Was in the Jade Garden six months ago - can't go wrong with the selection of traditional dim-sum. The staff are usually quite helpful.

This one has Harbour Views ... you do have to queue when it's busy.

Next door to HMV on Hankow Road is a restaurant called Mudanting that has a good dimsum selection too.

There are quite a few family-orientated places nearby. Dan Ryan's, in Harbour City/Ocean Terminal - in fact - once you get inside - there are quite a few nice mid-priced restaurants and a huge area dedicated to children's goods.

TGI Friday's on Nathan Road.

Delaney's is a pub but has good pub grub.

For Chinese, there are quite a few nice places on Lock Road that I can think of.... mostly serving dumplings. They are not specifically child-friendly but I go there with my family and we can order off the English menus.

The YMCA also has its own Cafe restaurant as well and there is a lovely Chinese Dim Sum place on the Harbour Front in the Cultural Centre that is reasonably priced. Maybe someone else can recall its name....

Most of the shopping malls have Food Courts serving a fantastic range of Asian and Western cuisines. Nearby in Silvercord Centre on Canton Road is a basement full of child-friendly choices - pick by looking at the sample plates... WYSIWYG! Pay and eat! It's run by CitySuper which is a posh supermarket chain but the food is all reasonably priced. (Incidentally, there is a similar food court inside harbour city shopping mall that offers the same if not more choices).

Apart from that, you are pretty much safe with most cuisines in the city and most restaurants while not pictures of five star loveliness are in fact perfectly good dining choices. It took me a while to get used to it to start with but five years later, I am extolling their virtues...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

To do a bit of cheering for IntercontiGuy, the Chinese restaurant at Intercontinental Grand Stanford serves excellent dim sum but at a price. Expect to pay about HK$100-150 per head. The food is good though but service can definitely improve for a 5-star hotel restaurant!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
760 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

The name of the dimsum restaurant at the HK Cultural Center is Serenade on the 1st floor. They have animal-shaped dimsum for the kids.

Try to pickup a free guide book when you arrive at the airport called Hong Kong Family Guide made for families with children which will give you tons of ideas.

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions - we look forward to trying them out!

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
565 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

While too late to help the original poster, I think the topic is one always of interest. We just got back from 3 nights at the Y, which recommends Serenade in the Cultural Center across the street for dim sum. It wasn't very good and was expensive. Far better and cheaper was the Tao Hueng on the 3d floor of the Silvercord Center, a couple of blocks away. The restaurant is hidden around a corner from the other two on the floor, but is worth the search. While almost entirely local, they see enough tourists so that you won't have any trouble ordering some very good dim sum.

The Wu Kong Shanghai Restaurant around the corner from the hotel just off Nation Road on Peking St was very good. It also was predominately local but ordering was easy and well worth it.

9. Re: Dim Sum near YMCA The Salisbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 16:17