We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

We are travelling to Hong Kong from the UK next week. We are in a bit of a quandary on what form of currency to take. We don't like carrying cash so therefore always take travellers cheques.

We are reluctant to take HK$ cheques because we wouldn't use them again so would have to change any leftovers on our return, therefore losing out on rates.

We are always going to Europe so we were considering taking Euro traveller cheques, therefore, what we return with we can just keep and use another time.

Do you think the rate we would get for euro traveller cheques would be just as good as sterling traveller cheques.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

Can't understand why you want to take Euro: you are charged to change GBP into €, then change € into HK$?

Just take GBP and change and your ATM card, there are plenty of machines around Hong Kong.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

We buy all our currency commission free. The reason we were going to get euros is that we would be able to keep whatever is left over and use them very easily, rather than losing out on the exchange rate changing them back.

We never normally use ATM's because of the charges.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,513 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

even if you can get currency commision free, I am sure you can't get it totally fee-free. i.e. you spend £200 to get euros, and then exchange the euro back to £, you don't get £200 back.

There is no HK$ traveller's cheque.

There is no reason exchanging a 3rd currency for HK.

cleveland england
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

hi

we are going to hongkong in june then on to australia then thailand

we opened a nationwide flexi account

deposited all our spending money and use the atm card

there are no charges and you can take out as little as you like

we have used this method all over the world including india it is very safe

Leicester
Level Contributor
445 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

Whereabouts are you staying in Hong Kong Penny?

There is no need to be worried about taking cash if you are staying in most types of hotel and the exchange rate is really good ( no need to take your passport out as well ) if you use cash.

If you really feel you have to use T/Cs then I would take sterling for sure

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

Thank you all for your replies.

We looked into the Nationwide current account option because we already have a Nationwide credit card for purchasing. Unfortunately, we have left it too late (we leave on Saturday) to open a current account for getting fee free cash withdrawals.

We just tend to feel more secure not carrying cash, so I think it's going to be sterling travellers cheques and exchange them at the hotel.

uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

I used my nationwideCREDIT card for cash withdrawals and it might not be as expensive as you think if you get stuck and need extra cash. They charged 2% cash advance fee, minimum charge £2.00. And rates were reasonable, HKD15.64 on 20/04/07. Did not get any charges for using ATMs at HSBC or Standard Chartered. These can be found at airport if you need some dollars on arrival.

Have great trip.

uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

PS You probably already know that Nationwide do NOT charge a foreign transaction fee when using their credit card abroad, unlike some others. (I am not an associate/employee!)

9. Re: Currency Exchange - PLEASE HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 04:18