We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from YMCA to.......??

Sydney
Level Contributor
484 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from YMCA to.......??

Putting aside the matter of the humidity, is the walk from the YMCA Salisbury (where we will be staying) to:

a.) the Temple St. Market

and

b.) the area of the Fa Yuen St. market, bird, flower and goldfich markets

adviseable in terms of ease and interest (and safety)?

Does the route up along Nathan Rd. and some of the streets parallel to it constitute a pleasant and interesting walk?

How long would it take to get from the YMCA to a and b assuming you're fit and purposeful but also interested in your surroundings?

Thanks Again.....

Leicester
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from YMCA to.......??

Done it a couple of times. If you are not in a hurry and enjoy shopping or just window shopping it can take as long as you want it to. It should be a steady 30 minute walk to Temple St. If you go in the daytime you can walk through Kowloon Park and enjoy a surprising amount of greenery and come out near Austin Rd ( I assume you have a map of sorts? ).

The walk is dead easy and yes, safe. Just take the usual sensible precautions you would in any big and busy city and go enjoy yourself, its hard not to in Hong Kong

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from YMCA to.......??

And continuing up to Prince Edward (flower market) would take around 45-60 mins more from temple street.

Interest - I think so. In those parts of Yau Ma Tei and Mongkok you see streets devoted to particuar trades. So there is the coffin street, the kitchen utensils street, the sports shoe street and so on.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,066 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from YMCA to.......??

Agree that the back streets have more of interest (and fewer trucks and buses belching diesel fumes) - just make sure you bring your free tourist association issued map with you - even if you get lost, you can point to where you want to go and someone will show you which direction... just if that happens, ask a younger person, as many of the elderly have very limited or no formal education, and can't read maps.

Very safe, everywhere, even after dark. Have walked from Fa Yuen St, and even further out, to TST many times, but would allow more like 1-1/2 to 2 hours, just to allow for looking at stuff and the fact that the crowds, goods trolleys and stalls on the footpath can really slow you down.

Sydney
Level Contributor
484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from YMCA to.......??

Great! Thanks for the info folks.

If the weather is kind to us - and I understand that's a big if during August! - I would much rather walk to the areas I mentioned in my original post than use the MTR or a bus. Much more pleasurable and interesting that way.......

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from YMCA to.......??

Walk in the early evening (after 6pm) to avoid the sun.

Still be hot and humid though.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from YMCA to.......??

Temple St is within walking distance. Note that Temple St is famous for its night market. A good time to visit is around 9pm. Fa Yuen St is too far for me. I would take MTR.

The streets are safe and full of activities at all hours. However HK is a crowded and hectic place. Take this into account if you are looking for a 'pleasurable' walk.

Also consider a stroll around Central, Sheung Wan and Sai Wan. Besides the endless shopping malls you will run into remnant of old Hong Kong hear and there.

Have a nice trip!

7. Re: Walking from YMCA to.......??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 06:19