We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

We’ve just had a short trip from Birmingham (UK) to Amsterdam (Netherlands).

Birmingham International Airport was great, and after check-in you pass through the security check area where your hand luggage is thoroughly checked. It is at this point you cannot take any liquids through. However, you then arrive in the departure lounge where there are numerous places to buy drinks safely to take on your flight, since the products in these shops are already ‘security checked’. This means that you are able to take a drink with you on your flight – which we always like to do.

Returning from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, however, was very different. The organisation was poor, but that is another story. However, the departure lounge, where the shops are, is before the security check area. Once you go through the security check you go straight to the gates, and there is no opportunity anywhere to buy a drink for your flight.

To my thinking, the way of doing things at Birmingham is much more sensible than at Amsterdam.

My question is: can anybody advise what the process is at Hong Kong International Airport? I’m hoping that we will be able to buy drinks in the departure lounge, after being security checked, for our long-haul flight back to London later in the year.

Mentioned in this post
Le Pain Quotidien Elements
££ - £££, Cafe, European, French
Komune
££ - £££, European, Asian, South American
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,506 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

After security check, you can bring liquids on board which means you can purchase drinks and bring them on the plane within the secured area. Note that if you buy liquid duty free items, you might not be able to bring them onto the second plane should you have a connection.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

Hi Reddiguy

Good question. We were thinking about the same thing. We are due to fly out later in the year and can't survive a long haul flight without a large bottle of water! Incidentally your from the same town as us!!! When are you visiting Hong Kong?

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

You should be able to buy a bottle of water. I am not sure about the exact regulations at the present, but last year, I had two bottles of water that they allowed back on a flight to Toronto, even though they had said no water allowed. However, before that, while I was flying to Australia, they had banned all non-checked liquids (even duty free). It would be best to ask your individual airline.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto Motel
Toronto Motel
73 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Leicester
Level Contributor
455 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

No problem after security but as Sammyfloyd says if you have a connecting flight there will be a problem.

Flying from Birmingham to Hong Kong earlier this year I wanted to take one of the airlines own complimentery bottles of wines from one flight to the next ( same airline ) and they took it off me at the security check before joining the connecting flight as I believe it was 125 ml. My wife also had to drink her bottle of water at the security gate as they would not allow it on to the next flight

Mentioned in this post
Leicester
Level Contributor
455 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

Just wanted to add that we were advized on leaving Hong Kong to buy our duty free drinks at the airport of our connecting flight rather than at Hong Kong.

If you buy a litre of spirits you will not be able to take it onto your connecting flight if you have one.

Still, if you have to drink it all before you change flights you will hardly notice the turbulence, or even care if there is any.

Have a great trip

Mentioned in this post
Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I wasn't really worried about duty free, and we're not doing any connecting flights, so that keeps things a bit easier.

Sammyfloyd > I think you've answered my question, but just to be specific, can you confirm that there are shops after security check (within the secured area) where we could buy, for example, small bottles of coke and/or water to take on the flight?

Many thanks, indeed.

Toronto
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

reddiguy, there are shops that sell newspapers/magazines/snacks/drinks/water past the security check.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

We just got back from Hokkaido Japan. And because we have a baby, I was very concerned about this new security about no liquids on board.

Basically, we carried water on board in a thermos. No problems. No Questions. Because we have a baby. I am sure people get away with it even without children. However, those who are single travellers get picked on and really get searched if they do have to be picky.

After the security, you can buy whatever drinks/liquids you can get your hands on.... BUT exception is flights to N. America. They will check you again, and whatever you bought in the area after security, must be consumed or throw out.

Flights to Asia- no restrictions.

No idea about Australia.

If you ask the airlines directly, they will tell you no liquids allowed.

If you need water, you can always ask the cabin steward to give you a bottle.

I also have asked ahead of time, like ordering a special meal request, and diapers.... you ask for 2 bottles of mineral water that you need on board. Some airlines will have that for you ahead of time.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Campbell, California
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

In Hong Kong 7/30 I bought a 0.5L bottle of Watson's Water at the store there after going to security..right next to the gate (72 I think) Was on a united flight to San Francisco, and the guy at the security right before getting on the plane wouldn't allow me to bring it on, unopened. Maybe that was a US bound flight only.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Drinks after Security Check at Hong Kong Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 18:17